Linux vs MacOS X

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
MacLuv wrote:
Steve Jobs, not Apple, is style before substance. The day Linux gets a consumer desktop worthy of download, that's it for Apple. That's the way I see it, anyway. No flaming me. I'm nice.

But Linux is a system, based on Unix, a bit better finished than row BSD, a bit less open, but nothing like a company. Apple is a company and a brand, spending hundreds of millions of $ each year to adapt to user's demand and make its MacOS better.

Linux will be used by people owning computers. Some peope may pay $100 to buy a Linux install. But Linux for the masses does not exist. Sorry, it does exist, but it's not Linux, it's another Unix derivative: it's MacOS X.

Linux does exist.. it's not bad but it's not user friendly.

Once i can install something clicking on it and then draggin the app to the apps like in mac, and unsintall stuff dragging it to trash (and not rm etc) i'll consider it. Or, i would consider it if i had a pc. (which i don't so os x is enough).

If Macromedia and Adobe would do its apps also for Linux there would also be more potential linuxist (among the pc users that are stuck in windows because of some graphical programs).

i just find it silly that people make it out to be like 'linux' is one megaproject. in fact, there are so many distros and different installs, it's not like LINUX is one OS that can take down anyone. heck, linux is technically just the kernel. linux+kde/gnome+apps+some linux compnay packaging it all together = a linux distro that's supposed to take down mac os.

i like linux OSes. i use debian, and to some degree, slackware. but i think it's funny when journalists say that 'linux' is going to take down _____ OS. say redhat is going to take down mac OS, or mandrake, whatever. just a pet peeve of mine.

Originally posted by Giaguara
Linux does exist.. it's not bad but it's not user friendly.

"Unix IS user-friendly. It's just picky about whom it chooses as its friends." ;)

Once i can install something clicking on it and then draggin the app to the apps like in mac, and unsintall stuff dragging it to trash (and not rm etc) i'll consider it. Or, i would consider it if i had a pc. (which i don't so os x is enough).

Can't something like Nautilus do these things?

If Macromedia and Adobe would do its apps also for Linux there would also be more potential linuxist (among the pc users that are stuck in windows because of some graphical programs).

So you admit that some people use Windows for valid reasons, yet you still bash them and block them from seeing
your tattoo? ;)

The day Linux gets a consumer desktop worthy of download, that's it for Apple.

Well that won't be for good few years yet. Linux is great ....my second favourite OS but i cant see my ganny installing it for some time to come.

Besides I think Linux is more of a threat to Microsoft than to Apple.

I personally don't understand why everyone has to compare Apple to Microsoft, or Mac OSX to Linux or Windows. Can't we just be happy that we are Mac users? I know I am, I'm happy that I have a computer that works and a company that seems to care about it's customers. Those are things I didn't have when I used Windows and wouldn't have if I used Linux (if I knew how to use Linux).

I see no reason to show it to the windows users. After seeing too many things and sites that require windows, i have used that script on 2 pages ... it's not my problem if someone' using windows.

Linux is not better than BSD. It's just a brand-name for a number of distro which have the same base. BSD in fact has more pedigree as it is one of the original versions.

I think it will only improve the market-place if Linux takes hold and it can only help Apple, as it will remove the mind-set that only Windows is productive for work.

You wouldn't believe the number of times I get asked by my clients how I manage to use a mac.

I certainly would'nt want to see Apple replace Microsoft. I would like to see 3 or 4 system suppliers with OS's based on open frame-works. The whole concept of system dependence for an application is achronism in the day of 3ghz (or 1ghz short pipe-lined ;-) ) processors there is no longer any need to run native code.

Microsoft have no incentive to offer applications which are OS independent that is why open-source is so important!

John.

doesnt linux also charge for their os? which os is free?
(and which os provides free updates with improvements over then internet every 3 months?)

NO!!! Linux is absolutely 100% free and open source. Some companies like Red Hat sell their distributions with some commercial stuff, but I think even Red Hat you can download for free. Some, like Debian, if you do pay for, you are only paying for the media.

Yes, you can download Redhat. The main pages are normally crowded so mirrors.. i downloaded the 8.0 distro of Redhat from Sunet's mirror. :)

But i bought mandrake 9 as it was 5 $ in a newspaper stand (i didnt want to wait for ages to download it) .. i also downloaded Yellow Dog but havent installed that yet.

Personally I would recommend Debian over Red Hat. Between their philosophies, package management systems, etc. At my last job we got a Dell server to be used as a Linux server. They ship with Red Hat. I made them ship it to me with a blank drive so I could put Debian on. :D

People have been saying for 10 years that a user friendly X11 interface is around the corner. I'm still waiting. Also saying Linux in this debate is kinda moot, as all the pretty GUI's in linux, kde, gnome, etc. all work the same on freebsd, solaris, hpux, aix, irix, etc. Will the GUI on linux at some point become user friendly, maybe, will they make the OS itself to install, manage, troubleshoot easy? Not unless the redesign the way the OS functions, and stop having people have to build their own kernels, but ofcourse that stuff is what alot of the Linux users love, they love to get under the hood, and will be pissed if that goes away to make it more user friendly. UNIX(Linux included) using X11 had their chance to make it in the desktop world, and they all repeatedly failed. They make great server OS's, and great specialty workstations, but the won't be a common desktop. KDE/Gnome is just the latest in a long line of "standards" that will unify the unix community to create a user friendly OS. CDE claimed the same thing, had a ton of money thrown at it, was adopted by most commerical unix vendors, and it failed, miserably.

Brian

I haven't so much had time to try Debian but i guess I'll like it :D

What i know for sure is i didnt like mandrake at all and probably if i tried anything else i probably liked it more than RH ... i'm curious, i'll try any of them i'll have a change to try, but i'm not getting a pc for that. When I'll see Debian, any BSD, Suse etc I want to try ... ;)

I spend a lot of time running different flavors of Linux and Unix (I have a Sun Blade100 under my desk too) and while X11 + GNOME 2 + various GNU stuff makes for a pretty cool work environment, it still pales compared to the wonderful, tightly integrated, visually delightful experience of using Mac OS X.

I have been poking around on Unix systems since 1980, so my relationship with Unix goes way back (I contributed to BSD4.4 and used to hang out with Jordan Hubbard, among other BSDers). I've also been using Macs since 1985, and, honestly, one of the best days of my computing history was the day that Mac OS X was released, with the fabulous Macintosh user experience grafted atop a powerful and accessible Unix core.

To this day, I delight in being able to run PhotoShop, Microsoft Office, Safari, iTunes, etc., and still pop open a Terminal to hack on the system too!.

Just one opinion, YMMV, of course. :)

d1taylor, cool ... :p

an odd note on linux: i have added some basics about linux to a site ... and looking on stats a LOT of people end there looking for e.g. "redhat ibook" "install redhat on xbox" "mandrake xbox" ... :confused:

Back