List of software?

ty

Registered
Can somebody help me?
I´ve been looking for a site where I can find information about wich developers that are going to release their software for MacOs X...............CAN`T FIND IT!

The information that´s most important is if Adobe is going to release their software (Acrobat, PS, AI, InDesign and ATM).

I am not sure about this but I think stepwise.com (or is it .org ?) is a site about OS X, X server and darwin ;)

If Adobe wasn't going to release their stuff, Apple might as well have not bothered with OSX...

They've already shown a carbonized Photoshop, so everything else should be coming along in the next few versions.

why? it's the truth. Adobe apps are more vital to Mac OS than the mythical MS Office. Since they are bringing them over, the point is moot

While I don't work for Adobe I'm sure that they are fully aware that OS 9 is going the way of the Dodo and are in the process of Carbonizing their software so that people will continue to purchase their products on the Mac platform.

Will there be Carbonized versions of all their apps when OS X ships -- no.

Why? There's a big difference between having a tech demo of an app running on X and actually making a successful and bug-free transition.

Point of former irritation with Photoshop: Version 5.5 had incorporated the 'new' Apple file system into some of their application, but not into all of it. If you were to open a file, you would have the ability to see the directories in the Mac OS list view complete with the triangles for peeking into directories, having the ability to select multiple files, etc -- but when you would save you had the older save dialog. very weird.

The point is, it's harder to implement sweeping changes than one might think.

Is Adobe porting to X? Yes. But freaking out that they won't be carbonized from day one and then making the claim that Apple is foolish for making a huge leap in the development of their OS is, in my opinion, lacking forethought and, well, dumb. (no offense)

As has often been discussed on this and other forums, the development process of the OS has been fast and furious these past months -- only the bravest of the developers are planning for an OS X launch debut of their apps as the OS was changing too frequently for them to have a stable code base to work from.

Once the OS get's shipped to users then more developers will begin to take up the challenge of carbonizing their apps.

As Steve Jobs mentioned, apps will be released in a bell-curve fashion -- the main influx of converted apps will be around the end of summer.

BTW: from what I gather, Microsoft Office is currently scheduled to be carbonized by Fall 2001

Richard Rose - 02:09pm Mar 2, 2001 Pacific (#4 of 14)

OS X is a thoroughly modern OS with full pre-emptive multitasking and memory protection. It's based on a re-worked BSD Unix architecture. It should be very stable and is unlikely itself to ever crash. Native OS X applications, if they ever crash, will exit gracefully and the OS will recover the memory used by the program without harm to the running OS or to other Native OS X applications.

As one of the tasks, running in the multitasking environment, OS X will run a single instance of OS 9.1 (only 9.1, no other earlier Mac OS). This is the Classic environment. In this environemnt, any program that now runs under MacOS will run in the non-pre-emptive multitasking space that OS 9.1 represents.

As now is the case, any program that crashes within that space will probably bring down other programs and the OS running within (and only within) the Classic environment.

m;o) - 02:12pm Mar 2, 2001 Pacific (#5 of 14)

Well pal, All computers crash, some more than others. Our SGI Quad processor server needs to be restarted every once in a while. Yes OS X will be better, but YOU can test it first for me.

Mike Dicosola - 01:42pm Mar 6, 2001 Pacific (#9 of 14)

Does Adobe plan to come out with an OS X version? I know it runs in classic but do they plan on a carbonized version. I know After Effects just came out and it is currently Classic only but they are saying an OS X version will be out after OS X release. Is adobe going to do this for photoshop? They should since OS X will operate faster w/ Apps created for it, right?

Chris Cox - 03:10pm Mar 6, 2001 Pacific (#10 of 14)

"They should since OS X will operate faster w/ Apps created for it, right?"

No, that's not right.

OSX will be slower than OS9 - it has far more overhead.

Chris

Mike Dicosola - 03:51pm Mar 6, 2001 Pacific (#11 of 14)

are you sure? i heard that it is much faster with a G4 and allows for multiprocessing etc..

Mike - I don't know what you heard.

But OSX has a lot more overhead than OS9, and some of it's memory management and security features can slow things down quite a bit.

Anyone expecting OSX to be faster had better step away from the crack pipe....

Chris

Jeff Schewe - 08:51pm Mar 6, 2001 Pacific (#13 of 14)

Mike,

There's several reasons that Photoshop on OS X isn't a good story-despite what some pundants may be saying.

The kernal for OS X is Mach 4.5, basically Unix. Unix has a hard time with complext file formats that have many different components-like Photoshop files. So, without fault to Photoshop, PSD files may be slower opening and saving-unless Apple does something to help.

Mutli-threaded, pre-emptive multi-tasking? Great, so, unlike the Mac where you can lock in resources, OS X system will be able to preempt Photoshop. This is not exactly a good thing for Photoshop. Running multiple apps and stealing processor clicks for some other process or app will slow Photoshop down.

Want more bad news? As far as I know, in order for an application to be Carbon, it must be 100% completely Carbon. . .including ALL EXTENSIONS AND PLUG-INS. Otherwise, the Carbon apps will launch in Classic. So, do you have a lot of Photoshop plug-ins? While Adobe can surely Carbonize their plug-ins quickly, how long do you figure printer, camera and 3rd party plug-in developers will take to Carbonize? Also, some shareware or freeware plug-ins may NEVER be Carbonized. Some companies aren't even around anymore. Also, running Photoshop in 9.1 within OS X isn't a particularly good performance story. CarbonLib is already having problems and Apple has not been very forthcomming with good solutions for the problems developers have been having-including Adobe (all the apps, not just Photoshop).

Add to that that even Apple isn't shipping hardware with OS X installed till July of this year (at the earliest) and it's a pretty wise person who will be clinging to 9.1 for the foreseeable future.

I've only recently switched from 8.6 to 9.1 because of hardware and HD driver issues. And that's the same basic opperating system-let alone an entirely DIFFERENT OS.

Apple needs to be more accomidating with their app developers-particualry their large developers with complicated and deep apps. Sure. . .it'll be simple to carbonize simple apps for OS X, but big complicated apps like Photoshop, which already has to be written for Mac & Windows (along with 17 regionalized versions) will require pretty extensive efforts. Plus. . .Adobe wants to do it right. . .we all depend on that.

Also, since Chris is basically the "optimizations king" for Photoshop, I would think Chris's opinions would be worth listening to. . .I've never won an arguement with him yet when it deals with hardware or software and how Photoshop works on them. .

Well let me just respond to this one ;-)

On the preemtive multitasking part:
let me just say DDDUUUUUHHH!!!!
If you are working on photoshop and you want to apply some filter on an image
and you want to copy , delete, duplicate files, AND work on your word database
all simultaneously of course your system is gonna croack!
When I do photoshop (or audio/video editing ) on my mac that is the ONLY thing I
do because I want to get done at some time.

the second part about part carbon/part cocoa.
If adobe makes its products in cocoa then other supporting companies will
do so as well. when you are moving to a whole new OS structure, and you are trying to
move several components to it it all happens gradualy. So being in normal space and time
adobe (the big fish) leads the way and all the supporting companies like alien skin software follow adobes lead.

As for the way UNIX handles files, that can be answered by a UNIX expert. I know that MacOS has a UNIX core, but I doubt that it is 100% pure unalatred unix.

Admiral

I use those applications for graphical work (Print and Web). One of the most important parts of my work is fonts.
I´ll guess that a carbonized application can´t use the fonts that´s opened in OS 9.1?

While I can't say emphatically 'yes' or 'no' to the shipping version, in the Public Beta the fonts in X and 9 were mutually exclusive. . . that is, when in a X app you didn't have access to the 9 fonts, and vice versa.

OS X will be able to use MacOS, unicode and Windows fonts, so if you have fonts in your MacOS 9 system folder, you can just drag em over and copy them to your OS X system folder. :)

it isn't always desirable to have to maintain 2 sets of fonts - classic should have access to the OSX fonts, but this is probably something for 10.1

Why is it that Plug-ins will have to be carbonized? Plug-ins simply have to adhere to Adobe's plug-in API, right?

Hi there, I work on SGIs all day at work - I write software...
last time I looked IRIX ( which is based on SRV4 just like BSD Unix and Solaris, etc, etc..) was able to display postscript fonts....and a hell of a lot better than windows too..bearing in mind any print house worth a light would still be using the postscript fonts for true DTP computer->press WYSIWYG, I don't think it is much or an issue...
on a related note - apple can produce what are effectively portable unix workstations with the Ti powerbook and OSX..even SGI gave up on that idea..with the advent of appllications like Maya by Alias|Wavefront the real heavyweight 3-D imaging apps are only just beginning to head towards the apple platform....
and an SGI Octane is around £20000...so you could get what? 4 or 5 G4s (power book and/or towers) for the same money...
just might be worth thinking a little before bringing out the flamethrowers...especially as the UKs biggest export last year was computer software and special effects.... :)
a little food for thought, eh?

LOL ...
It is true that you can get so much more for the mac for the same price as an octane lol ... I would like to know how many GigaFLOPs the MIPS RISC 64-bit R12000A is :)

When it comes down to it I prefer macs any day but if someone gave me a free SGI I would like an O2 ... that system looks cool ;-)

Admiral

Hi there, I work on SGIs all day at work - I write software...
last time I looked IRIX ( which is based on SRV4 just like BSD Unix and Solaris, etc, etc..) was able to display postscript fonts....and a hell of a lot better than windows too..bearing in mind any print house worth a light would still be using the postscript fonts for true DTP computer->press WYSIWYG, I don't think it is much or an issue...
on a related note - apple can produce what are effectively portable unix workstations with the Ti powerbook and OSX..even SGI gave up on that idea..with the advent of appllications like Maya by Alias|Wavefront the real heavyweight 3-D imaging apps are only just beginning to head towards the apple platform....
and an SGI Octane is around £20000...so you could get what? 4 or 5 G4s (power book and/or towers) for the same money...
just might be worth thinking a little before bringing out the flamethrowers...especially as the UKs biggest export last year was computer software and special effects.... :)
a little food for thought, eh?

Back