Local Networking

MLE

Upstate, New York
Is there a way to set up a local network and how do I go about that?

Need to be wired or can it be wireless?

I have a mixture of both.

Phone to DSL modem.
Modem to ethernet hub.
Airport Extreme Base station wired to hub.
Desktop wired to hub.
Laser Printer wired to hub.
HP deskjet USB wired to Airport Extreme Base Station.

iBook G4 is used around the house and linked via wi-fi

Office HP laptop links to network and modem when required via cable to hub and then to office via VPN. (Company think wi-fi is insecure).

Make sure that only one of the items issues the IP addresses (usually either the modem or the Airport Base)

Or you can buy a router that combines the Airport Base wi-fi, hub and the modem - Linksys / Netgear / D-Link etc.

Initial set up done via Apple Airport set-up Utility programme.

I suppose that you could accomplish what you want to do with an Airport, but probably also with an Airport Express, or, even cheaper, a 3rd party wireless router, Linksys is good. How do you want to set the network up? If the computers have wireless, you could just hook up the wireless router to the internet connection, and share from that. If you need to use wired connections, make sure that the router has enough ports, I believe that the Airport only has one extra port..

You only need a wi-fi router like Airport (or Linksys/Netgear etc.) if you want a wireless link in the network. Otherwise you can probably do it cheaper with wires and an ethernet hub/router.

Actually, you can achieve this with two Mac systems that both have a wireless card as well. On one system you create a new network (easiest if the "Show Airport Status in Menu" option is enabled; select "Create Network..."); on the second system join the wireless network just created and you can communicate between the systems.

Back