localhost lookupd[211]: Can't communicate with ypbind

ridmaur

Registered
This is displayed in my console.log numerous times (well actually it says last message repeated x times). What's wrong; is it bad; how to fix it....

cheers,
Rob

ypbind is the client process for NIS (Network Information Service); by default, lookupd shouldn't be trying to do NIS, did you turn it on at one point?

Not that I have been aware of. I know ypbind stands for Yellow Pages (a.k.a. NIS) as you indicated. Main question however is how to turn it off; I definitely don't need it...!

Thanks
Rob

That's weird; wonder why it decided to try NIS. Maybe it got lonely...anyway, I've not used NIS on OS X myself, but from what I understand on using it, what does the NISDOMAIN line in /etc/hostconfig say, and then bring up NetInfo Manager to check if you have anything under locations->lookupd which references YPAgent in the LookupOrder key.

did all that. -NO- in the /etc/hostconfig file at the NISDOMAIN key. No entries for an YPAgent in NetInfo.
Following the man page, I started up a seperate instance of lookupd with lookupd -d and now interactively see what it's been doing. When I type in hostWithInternetAddress: 192.168.1.1 (my router) it comes back with details on my router gotten from dictionary DNS, but I see also the error message again in the Console log. Basically with every hostWithInternetAddress request I see the message popping up.

Coming from HP-UX, is there something like a configuration file where you define how to resolve addresses (e.g. first DNS, then /etc/hosts/, then NIS)? Maybe that's configured to look in NIS too, although it it weird as I've never configured it like that....

Thanks for the help, any more help appreciated, because I'm stuck...

cheers,
Rob

Back