locations are goners

oscar

Registered
I use four different locations, after logging in and chanching my location from work(adsl network) to home(modem) my computer froze and i had to restart holding the powerbutton on my tibook. After restarting all my locations were gone.

Anyone know what happened.

thnx

oscar

... but it sounds like the locations plist file (at least, I seem to remember that the locations are kept in a plist file) was trashed due to the crash. Perhaps fsck'ing your machine would be in order.

C

" Perhaps fsck'ing your machine would be in order "

thanks i would like to try this .
What is it and how do i do this.

thnx

oscar

Boot up in single-user mode by holding 'option-S' during the startup of your machine. It may be just 'S' but I think option is required, too.

At any rate, when you get to the command line, type "fsck -y" and let it run (without the quotes). If it reports ANY errors, repeat until it reports a clean, good, healthy drive (no errors).

okay did it

it said there was a difference in amount of files or something

can it be that osx runs faster now
it seems so :)

thnx

Could be! It may have fixed some errors somewhere, and OS X could possibly run faster. Want to try something else that may make it run faster, as well?

Try this:

1. Close all open programs.
2. Open the terminal.
3. Type: sudo update_prebindings -root / -force
4. Sit back for 5-30 minutes, depending on how many applications you have.

This will update the "prebindings" of your applications, meaning that it will go and tell all the applications where to find their dynamic libraries, so they don't have to find them themselves when they launch. It should speed up your application launch times a little. Of course, right AFTER you do this, I recommend you restart... the first time you launch your apps after doing this, it may actually take LONGER than normal... at least, that's what I found unless I restarted first.

i will give this it a try tomorrow

Its 7 in the evening here, and the first beautiful evening in a long time.
Time for a beer on a terrace.....
;)

oscar

Back