Lock computer?

Sunnz

Who wants a stylus?
Not sure about Windows, but in Linux (Gnome), there is an option called Lock Screen, which effectively puts on the screen saver and requires a password to log in... is it possible to do so in OSX? (I am pretty sure it can, I saw one of my lecturer do it, but I didn't pay attention! :p)

Yep, in SystemPrefrences, go to "Security" and check "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver". Then to lock the machine put it to sleep by shutting the lid of a laptop or for a desktop either apple menu> sleep os control-eject then s.

To lock it without making it sleep go to "Desktop and ScreenSaver" in system preferences. Select the ScreenSaver tab and press the button marked "Hot corners". From the drop down select a corner to activate the screensaver. Then top lock the machine just push the mouse pointer to the selected corner and voila!

Wow that was quick thanks!

However, are hot corners the only way? I have already assigned them to something else I like to use...

BTW, on laptops, when I close the lid, does it goes into sleep immediately? Or does it only turns off the display?

Sometimes I can't tell if the hard disk have stop running yet when in sleep mode.

More downloads?? I have been downloading many things since yesterday just to customise bits of stuff... it feels like Windows...

What download? Its just a guide to activating keychain access sin a particular way.

In terms of the many downloads, thats cos you are trying to make the mac do things in the same way the PC did, and that tends to entail 3rd party add ons. Often happens with switchers, after a while you acclimatize to the mac world and it gets better.

Oh nevermind I just copied the shortcut to screensave to my sidebar. :D

I don't think I can agree with that second point... I have been using Macs and now I own one, and I always try to do things the Mac way if I could/know howto.:)

But it just doesn't always work, for example, the first thing I had to download was "Startup Sound Pref Pane", I mean, come on, I need to use my laptop in libraries, and I need to turn that sound off... I mean, any sane person would want to do that, not just PC people, right?

Yea, thanks for the hints and stuff!

No problem,

On the startup sound thing, it never bothers me because i never turn my laptop off :). I just shut it to sleep so I don't get that sound. :)

Oh well, I was actually setting up my Mac when I just got it!! So as you can imagine what it would feel like to have headphones plugged in yet still hears that sound from the speaker; then these people all around the library give you that quick friendly stare!! :eek:

So umm... you always sleep your laptop?? Why not shut down? Is it normal for Mac users to use sleep instead of shutdown?

Yep, macs don't need to be shutdown very often at all. I only shutdown for planes, and only restart after big updates or the very very occasional crash i've had. I guess i must have an average uptime of about 2-3 months on my laptop, which is more than 3 years old. With apple laptops, one of the joys is when you need to leave, you just shut the lid, chuck it in your bag and go, and it amazes non mac users when you arrive for a meeting, open your laptop and are typing literally 2 seconds later (i get impatient waiting the other 4 seconds for my wireless to find the local network).

Enjoy! :D

Just as an alternative to using the screensaver for "locking" the computer: you can also enable "Fast User Switching" then use that to simply return to the login window... you could possibly even assign a hotkey to it natively, or with some 3rd-party keystroke software.

That's how I "lock" my computer without logging out.

Ora, Lurk, but the ram is still running and consuming power, right? If say I shut the lid to sleep, would it cause any problem to walk at a fast pace or even running? Also, if I shut the lid to sleep, it would turn off the hard disk as well, right? Call me paranoid... I only want to make sure...

Ei, I used to do that on Windows!! I like to see those nice screensaver in OSX though.:)

I can recommend the program SizzlingKeys. It lets you assign a key (i use F16, Apple Keyboard) to the "Switch User"-function. So when I press F16, the box animation appears and switches to the login screen. :)

If you put your Macintosh notebook to sleep, everything except the RAM goes to sleep. Newer notebooks (some PowerBook G4 versions, all MacBooks) write the content of the RAM to the harddrive as well, in order to be able to resume even after the battery has completely lost its juice and the RAM has been powered down. So when you close your lid, your notebook might still write something to the harddrive - and I wouldn't throw it in the backpack for, say, another 30 seconds.

But, quite certainly, I never shutdown my MacBook. The sleep function works very well, and it means that I don't have to re-open all my applications and find the documents that I was working on. Lets me keep open my environment, which _greatly_ helps efficiency.

Well I usually put it in my backpack and I walk around the school, alot... however I do turn it off when I am about to go home since it would be a 20~30 drive...

In my case, I usually shut it down when it is about 10% battery, and is usually the time I go home... sounds ok?

BTW, as soon as I went home, I plug it back to the adaptor, and I always leave it plugged in when at home even if it is on green for days... would that consider as bad for a Mac? I have heard from PC friends that they remove the battery when using their laptop at home to save battery life... is that true? Does it apply to Macs?

I think that whatever you do with a battery, the lifetime of it will keep reducing. If you store it in a locker, it will reduce, and if you use it all the days it will reduce.
I have my adaptor plugged in almost ever, exept for when i sit in the sofa or are wardriving in the city. ;) I havn't noticed any problems..

Actually cycling the battery as you are describing is what will burn the battery up and leaving it plugged in is totally OK. Now in the old days batteries did not have the voltage regulation circuitry that modern Li-polymer batteries have what you say was true, but not today. In fact if you tried to use that old style regimen for charging a modern battery it would burst into flame. That is the real reason for the voltage regulation in newer batteries, the nice side effect is that you don't have to worry about running with the "green" light on whatsoever.

Back