lock the dock?

rhaneski

Registered
I know the dock can be locked so icons can not be removed but can the positioning and magnification also be locked?

I want it on the bottom of the screen with no user ability to move it (other than to shrink it or expand it) or magnify it.

Thanks

Well, you can't remove the option to turn it back on, but as long as you leave it off, it'll stay off.

If this is about other people using your computer, you might want to set up another user account for them and lock yours with a password they don't know. Then you can use Fast User Switching to go into _their_ account. Switching back to your account will require a password.

It's for a student user and I dont want them changing the magnification or any other settings.

When I go to troubleshoot I only have to reset them before I can begin seeing whats wrong, so it is a time saver for me if I can keep these settings from being changed. (with magnification on I always miss the icon I am looking for)

Ray

It seems as if you should be able to create a keyboard shortcut through use of AppleScripts that would allow you to turn magnification on/off just by pressing a few keys.

Offhand, i don't know how to do that. I'm researching tho and maybe someone on this board knows how to target the Dock with a script.

01. To expand upon frykes suggestion - create a new user, and allow only 'Simple Finder' access - to limit the 'Dock' options available. How one selects 'Simple Finder' is different in 'Panther' (MacOS X 10.3.x) and 'Tiger' (MacOS X 10.4.x).

02. Regardless of what was already stated, one does not use AppleScript to assign Keyboard equivalents. If a Keyboard equivalent is desired, (one way is to) use the 'System Preferences' 'Keyboard & Mouse' utility's 'Keyboard Shortcuts' tab's panel.

Back