locked out of computer and i want to wipe it

ollief

Registered
my dads friend gave me a computer it's a mac powerbook or ibook 4 and he is now overseas doing doctors without borders. i didn't use the computer for awhile and when i decided to install internet on it i had lost the password. the computer said that i could completely reinstall the software so i got a friend to download it, but because i restarted the computer im locked out of it and when i put in disc1 of the operating system nothing happened! what do i do i know nothing about computers and i went to this computer store geek squad and they said they couldnt do it for me because i dont have the original software! i dont know what to do! help!

Here is what I suggest. Call Apple and tell them that you have this notebook and that you do not have the original software for it. Ask them how much it would cost to purchase a new copy of the installation DVD's. It probably will not be that much.

You can also look on ebay for the original discs for the notebook.

In addition, you can buy a "Retail" copy of OS X that will run on your computer.

Before making any of these purchases, it is important to find out exactly what model of notebook you have so that you can buy the correct discs for it.

If you purchase a retail set of disks (not the grey-colored, system-specific disks), then they will be guaranteed to work in any supported computer (if you've got FireWire, you're supported). Just make sure you get the correct media -- if you've only got a CD-ROM or CD-RW drive, then it would be silly to purchase the media on DVD. Tiger only comes on DVD (which can be exchanged through Apple, but you'll end up paying even more).

Back