Locked out of my Mac Book

2outta3

Registered
Hello,
I am locked out of my Mac Book. does any one know how to find out the user name> i reset my password & am now locked out of my computer-Mac Book
Thanks

You need to boot from the install discs that came with your MacBook and select to change the user's password from the menu. Once you've inserted the disc into the MacBook, reboot and hold down the C key after you hear the startup chime until you know that it's booting from the disc.

Hi,
i have done that already. now it askds for my name & i don't remember what i used. i have checked all 3 variations but it won't let me in.
idid an archive & install but am still locked out.

You should do as nixgeek suggested. Boot to the installer disk, and choose Change Password from the menu. Select your drive, and you should see your account name in the drop-down list. Note the spelling. Change your password again. Type it carefully, noting any capital letters or unusual characters. Save the changes. reboot your Mac, and enter the password at the login screen.
Final step after logging in - Change your password again through the Accounts pane in your System Preferences. That will then change your keychain password to the same as your login password.
You should then be able to change your login settings so you will have a normal login. If you normally have an automatic login, you may need to turn that off, restart, and then turn auto-login back on, which will reset that type of login.

Hello,
I have tried that & the only name that appears is "System Administator-root" or default-not any other account name. when i try to just turn on the Mac Book, it asks for name & password. there's no names to choose from...just blank.

You didn't need to archive and install anything. All you needed to do is select the option to change the password for the user you wanted to gain access to.

Follow the directions here from Apple's website for your version of Mac OS X.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

By chance, do you get prompted BEFORE you get to the user login screen that looks somewhat like this?

login2.png

Helo,
the first thing i did was try to reset my password. i did exactly what both of you suggested. it didn't work. my "user name" doesn't appear in the menu's. i called apple & they suggested i try an archive & install as i didn't want to pay them $60 for the phone help. i did the archive & install & here i sit.
i do not get the screen you have shown. i get the "Mac OS" & then it says "jeff Harris" (spelled that way). i can't change a password for something that doesn't appear. the file (or user) jeff Harris does not appear.
changing the password should be really simple...if you can select your own username....i can't. i click on the drive i want to choose the "change password" for & it only shows "default"

hello,
Thanks to you both for trying to help me. i had to call Apple. it turns out i had to do an archive & install because my info was missing. i did the A&I but didn't save the preferences the second time. it erased everything to log in & then i redid my username & password & then just brought my info over by dragging it because the first A&I saved my info.
Thanks again for trying to help!!

Jeff

Back