Locking Desktop on Tiger ?

Rj

Registered
Hi,

Is it at all possible to lock your desktop on tiger like you can wih windows xp ?

cheers

Rich

Yep, first go to system preferences > security and check require password from sleep or screen saver. Then set a hot corner for screen saver activation, top right is probably the best and then when you want to lock the screen just move the mouse to activate the screen saver. A bit cruder than in XP but it works.

thank you tommo, bit weird how you have to have a screen saver active to do this though.

You can also use Fast User Switching to switch back to the login window, yet remained logged in. To resume, simply log back in, and everything will be as you left it.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You can also use Fast User Switching to switch back to the login window, yet remained logged in. To resume, simply log back in, and everything will be as you left it.
This is the closest thing to the way you would do it in XP.

i currently only have one user and didnt really want to create another one, but cheers for the info.

You do not have to have another user to use Fast User Switching. No actual switching will happen, but you'll still be able to go to the login screen while remaining logged-on.

Yep -- that's exactly the way I use it. I only have the one account, but use FUS ("Fast User Switching") to switch back to the login screen when I don't want prying eyes on my screen, but want to keep all my apps open/downloading/processing/etc.

I am using a Hot Corner to lock my screen everytime I leave the office, but it would be actually interesting to have a shortcut for the login window (Fast Switching). Is it possibile to assign a keyboard shortcut to such an action? I.e. that would present the login window when a specific key is pressed.

Back