colindunn

Registered
Hey everyone! I am in desperate need of some help, anyone who responds, thanks in advance.

I am running a PowerBook G4 OSX 10.4. Boot up is fine, get to the login screen and I type in my info. Tiger recognizes it as a correct combo (un&pw) but after about 15 seconds of the gears goin' I get this error.

You are unable to log into the user account 'administrator' at this time.

IMPORTANT--Now, since the last reboot I was cleaning the HD and found an invisible folder (.administrator) containing some old files that I thought I had trashed. It contained to what apperared to be a whole other user. (system, applications, library, etc. 13 gigs and some change) so i moved these files to the trash and rebooted to see if I would have a problem without them. Guess what.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I returned my Tiger disk because I am cheap, and before I buy another one, was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thanks for reading.
Colin

Take the regular install OS X disk and somehow insert it. Then boot up holding down the "c" key. When the installer starts, go to the top menu items and find a menu item up there that resets the master password.

I followed your instructions and did not find a master password reset, but did reset my account un. Same problem. I do not think that it is a password problem.

I ran the disk repair on my hd and it came up with a few problems, one of which could not be fixed. The one that came up that seemed like a problem was 'Illegal Name'

Did you log in as root when you did this?

Reset the password for administrator and root ( if its activated)
Reboot and try again.
If this fails try single user mode, this by passes the startup files.

Back