login as root

bhub

Registered
I understand the whole idea and process of enabling root user in OS X 10.8 except the part about logging in as root.
I have enabled the root user but how do you login as root?
Or are you logged in as root by virtue of enabling?
Or are you supposed to log out then log back in?
!0.8.2

Do you want to log in to a desktop? Maybe someone else can say if that's even possible.

If just command line, open a terminal window, type login and enter root and its password.

What do you need to accomplish that can't be done as an administrator?

Do you want to log in to a desktop? Maybe someone else can say if that's even possible.

If just command line, open a terminal window, type login and enter root and its password.

What do you need to accomplish that can't be done as an administrator?
thank you for responding to a question with a question. Why would you think that is an acceptable way to offer your opinion. It is pointless and unneccessary and absolutely no help. It is nothing but a waste of my precious time. I would not have asked the question if I knew that some smug "think you knowitall" was gonna reply like so many others I read in all these forums who respond with the same reply..."What is it you need to do as root? That you can't do as an administrator." Because I asked the question. Not you. Not your business. Not for you to assume that you are more knowledgeable. I asked a simple question. A simple answer would suffice. And while you are fishing why don't you list all the things that you can do as root that you can as administrator, terminal too. Smart Ass. And of course its a desktop. Did I say unix or terminal? No! It is a simple question. I get so sick of people that think it is appropriate to respond to a post in this fashion. Either you know the answer or you don't. Which I suspect that you don't because you would have just answered the question. And the unix solution is the same as it has been for 40 years so I really didn't need that information nor ask for it but thank you for that invaluable tidbit that I couldn't get from the man page or help page or ?.

Smartass or not, Whitehall is absolutely correct. There is nothing worthwhile that you can do as root that you cannot do as administrator--except screw-up your system. The fact that you had to come to a fan site to learn how to login as root is unimpeachable testimony to the fact that you are not qualified to use the root account.

I have enabled the root user but how do you login as root?
Or are you logged in as root by virtue of enabling?
Or are you supposed to log out then log back in?

Whitehill asked some valid questions, which you might have answered without appearing to take the questions personally.
As often happens here (and you even mentioned it), questions are posed to help determine the purpose - because it's a personal attack on you :D
well, not usually!
In this case, knowing that you can use root-level access (sudo) in the terminal, without actually enabling the root user, is usually offered as a much safer way to use your machine. If you can avoid enabling the root user (unless there's no other reasonable method), then you should continue to avoid enabling the root user. It's simply a safer way to use your Mac.

And, you are correct, it doesn't help you - if all you need is answers, and you accept the security risks of having the root user enabled.
SO - To answer your questions:
1. Log in to the root user by bringing up a login window (either by logging out of your present user, or changing to a different account if you are using fast user switching. You will see the root user account listed at the login window (with the name "Other"), and you simply log back in with the password that you set up for the root user.
2. Root user is merely enabled - you still have to log in to the root account.
3. Yes, unless you have fast user switching enabled, which will let you log in to other users, without logging out first.
and, most important of all, (you forgot to ask the question, "Should I leave the root user enabled?"
4. when the root user is no longer needed, disable the root account.
Please notice the following, if you are not too sure about the root user now.
Logging out of the root user account does NOT disable the root user - you're just logged out, but the root user is still enabled.
From your Mac help:
To ensure the security and stability of your system, disable the root user when you are not using it.

bhub, I apologize if my response seemed anything but what I intended, an honest and non-smartass attempt to draw some extra information from you so as to provide you the best advice possible. That's what you now have. See DeltaMac's response above.

I notice that you just joined the forum. It would serve you well to look through some other threads, whether they interest you or not. You'll find that nearly every one is a back-and-forth discussion. Some get quite testy, most are reasonably polite; most get quickly to a simple answer, a few never get there at all. Most technical forums are like that. If you want some other format, there are several fee based sites out there. Good luck.

Back