Longest Uptime??

Hello!

I am no match for "iamnotmad"'s uptime of almost 50 days, my top is about 4 days. However, starting next week I am going to see just how much juice I can get in one boot, I will let you know what happens.

Have a great day!

Albert

Longest for me in OSX.1 is about a week or so. That's only because I have had to reboot into OS9. I have NEVER had 10.1 crash EVER.

Oh, and my IIci email server running OS 7.5.5 has been up for about 4 months or so. :D

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
Like I mentioned in this thread, there's a place that'll keep track of your uptime. The real fun part is watching all the Windows machines drop like flies. And hey, 87th out of 155 ain't bad, either.

Free BSD is winning too.

Hello!

Usuall cause of reboot for me is because my machine will lock up when I try to connect to the internet. I will get the rainbow cursor and mouse movement is really choppy. Anyone else had this problem?

Have a great day!

Albert

i just experienced the same problem with the spinning beach ball while accessing the internet, so i decided to check my fragmentation, hadn't done it in a while, realized it was severe, found out i had a bunch of bad dates and stuff, fixed the partition, defragged, and am booting up and running smoothly and much quicker.

Hello!

YIKES! I just checked my hard drive and it is severly fragged up! Problem, it needs to boot with the CD to run speed disk. So, I pop the disk in, change the startup disk to the CD and reboot with the "c" key pressed. I get a folder with a question mark for 10 seconds and then it boots into OS X. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Albert

Just installed 10.1.3 and I;m settling down for a nice long uptime, I eliminated my last use for OS 9, and will no longer have to boot back in. This going to be good....

My record is about 24 days, but that wasn't with a crash.

I hate to throw this one in, but I can't resist.

My PDC at a remote office runs to authenticate for a small group of people (10 -15) and runs a print server.

The server had an uptime of 210 days. It is running Windows NT server with only 32mb of ram. It's not even a server line of computer; it's a Dell Dimension M200s. I only restarted it because I simply forgot that I let it run for so long without a restart.

I always talk bad about windoze, but they do have their time in the spotlight.

Now I bet if I put more services on this machine it would stress out more and crash.

My mac on the other hand has reached as high as 45 days without a restart.
:p

Hmmm...what's all this mean? What's it mean by 3 users?

6:49PM up 692 days, 3 users, load averages: 1.99, 1.17, 0.84

My Carracho server is usually always up, I had to shut-down the server last week due to hacking threats. I only have one user account on this computer...so please tell me that 3 users thing isn't telling me how many people have connected to my Mac. :(

Gonna havta shut 'er down nightly if so, and set-up a firewall for my server.

Hello!

Trip: I think this does mean how many users have connected to your macintosh but also through Ethernet. Do you have you computer on an Ethernet network with other macs? If someone on another computer in the network will mount your hard drive I am pretty sure it will count it as a user.

I have a Hotline server for about three months now and thankfully no hack attempts. I guess there are pros and cons to having a turtle dialup modem as my internet connection. The pro is that my IP address is dynamic so it is harder to hack (this is also a con since I have to use a IP redirection service) The con is (of course) that is is soooo slow!

I have seen three "Advanced Broadband and Cable Fiber Optics" work trucks on seperate occasions working on different telephone lines near our house. I sure hope they get my house to get DSL as I am sick of waiting 30 minutes to send a 3MB file :mad:

Have a great day!

Albert

I, also, have a dial-up modem.

If anybody knows anything about monitoring people who mount my HD or something even close to that PLEASE contact me either by posting here, sending me a private message or e-mailing me with information: flip180@mac.com

Thanks.

Terminal screens are counted as logged in users...

try creating another window, type uptime, then type who.

create some more... repeat.

Unless you log in remotely while you're logged out locally, it will almost defintily say at least two...

Here is the uptime for my desktop Rhapsody 5.1 system (128 days, 22+ hours).

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 35
Here is the uptime for my Solaris 7 SPARCstation (186 days).

Attachments

• uptime-solaris.jpg
    uptime-solaris.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
I had to lose my uptime the other night. Not terrifically impressive, just a couple of weeks, but I had just worked out some problems that had been causing crashes, so I wanted to see what I could get. Start from Go...

So, here is the terrible story. I go into the computer room; it's dark out, so I turn on the light. Pop. The light goes back out. I reach up, unscrew the bulb, but it's making weird screeching sounds and turning really stiffly. Then I discover why: The glass part was unscrewing from the metal part, but the metal part was still stuck firmly in the socket.

So, I go get some pliers. As a caution, I turn of the breakers for the apartment - they're not labelled, so I can't just turn off the one I needed, have to shut off the computer.

It took a good ten minutes to pull out the remains of the bulb, and in the end it just came out in sharp little shreds of tin. It was stuck in there so tight, the whole light fixture came unscrewed from the ceiling at one point, and I had to fasten it back before I could continue. Grr! Good thing I had some candles about.

Originally posted by bubbajim
I hate to throw this one in, but I can't resist.

My PDC at a remote office runs to authenticate for a small group of people (10 -15) and runs a print server.

The server had an uptime of 210 days. It is running Windows NT server with only 32mb of ram. It's not even a server line of computer; it's a Dell Dimension M200s. I only restarted it because I simply forgot that I let it run for so long without a restart.

well, its only a pdc server!
but i guess most of use use our os x macs for work.
so os x has a pretty good stability.
i bet windows nt wouldnt get a longer uptime than like 1 month if it was used for doing work.

Originally posted by Trip
I, also, have a dial-up modem.

Hello!

What ISP do you use? I use Earthlink and it is a pain because I am kicked off the internet every 24hrs (plus the fact that I only have one phone line and a cell phone is another reason I am only online at nights and early mornings) I checked DSLReports.com and EVERY co around is finished except for the one that will be serving my area. They are pretty tight lipped about their plans with the co installation but I was finally able to figure out that it should be done by the end of the year.

I am trying to find out my uptime. I feel stupid but does anyone know how to do this via the Terminal? I tried typing "uptime" but this is what I got:

"Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] albertat% uptime
5:46AM 3 users, load averages: 0.97, 0.48, 0.40"

Also, Trip, the only way I know of monitoring people mounting your hard drive is by turning off file sharing altogether. In OS 9 there was a way that you could set up user accounts for people that could access your computer, that way if they tried to mount your hard drive it would ask for a user/pass. You might be able to find a way in OS X if you play around with it.

Have a great day!

Albert

Back