Longhorn Vista Pics & Movie

Lt Major Burns said:
well it's true. we act all smug that all our graphical things are so cool. windows does something along the same lines and it's wasted cpu, bloated and timewasting. macfans are so two-faced at times. i personally now feel that the quartz things on my tiger are behind the times now. leopard better have some bloody groundbreaking stuff.

The problem here is that then it's perceived as Microsoft being "innovative" because they are doing this and Apple being the one who copied MS (which has ALWAYS been the case if you ask a WIndows user, even though it's not true).

Look at the X.org team. They are looking to implement a lot of the same things from both operating systems into X11. Are they claiming to be the innovators? No! They give credit where credit is due. MS just claims to have done it first.

Plus, it has always been common practice for MS to add supercool eyecandy, but not deliver in performance. All of their releases have made the Windows experience a slower one on machines that have had the prevoius version, meaning you would have to replace your machine or components to have the operating system run faster as opposed to your applications, which is where you REALLY want the performance increase. Apple has made each of their releases run a bit faster on older hardware and much faster on the newer hardware. That's the way it should be when you upgrade to something newer. Faster and optimized, not slower and out of date. All MS is doing by making your OS experience slower through features is promoting the "planned obsolescence" that MS and Windows software/PC hardware manufacturers thrive on and we as consumers and users and up the losers since we have to shell out the cash for something that was considered new only 5 minutes ago before it was obsoleted.

Older Mac users are used to having each release come out with innovative features and performance increases with each subsequent version. I remember System 7.5.5 being MUCH faster than System 7.5 on my Performa 6220CD. So to see MS cheat consumers of there speed for "features" in the next release, and then have the balls to say they "innovated" is why MS gets the rag that it does from Mac users.

On the other hand, Apple brought a LOT of eye-candy when introducing Mac OS X (as in Public Beta and/or 10.0) and did most certainly NOT deliver decent graphics performance. Sure, they've been playing catch-up (to OS 9) ever since, but we can't say it was always MS in the past who brought eye-candy without performance. Simply not true. Also, we simply shouldn't judge Beta 1 of Longhorn too much. They've got all the time in the world (well, until the very end of 2006) to change and fix things. They might even let go of most of these effects or at least let users turn them off completely to get back some performance - something Apple hasn't really done...

Microsoft has had since October 2001 to start innovating on their new system. To say that we shouldn't "judge" the beta isn't right. It seems like they've had a long enough time to mull things over to get a steady, fast OS.

Of course, the beta is to change and we all know that. As Fryke said, maybe they'll remove some of the eye-candy, change it, or let the user select how much they want to run. If I remember correctly, Aero won't even run on older hardware, so I'm sure that there will be an option to turn it off just like there was in XP. It still seems that Beta 1 has a lot left to be desired, however.

As for Apple not allowing OSX users to adjust eye-candy, what would be the point? Each version of OSX has gotten a bit faster.... so an option to turn those things off in the new releases when hardware was getting faster as well as the GUI doesn't make much sense. It's a fact that with the OSX Public Release the graphical elements were slower compared to OS9, but I think that the majority of people would be willing to take a small performance hit in order to run a system that looked as good as Cheetah.

Back