Longhorn Vista Pics & Movie

The only thing that I thought would really be interesting about Vista was also removed apparently. Monad, which would have been a command shell similar to what Linux/Unix/Mac OS X have, has been removed from the feature list for Vista. Leave it to MS to screw up a command shell as well. :rolleyes:

FWIW I am using Longhorn Beta 1 on my pc. IMHO (remember I have no probs with Windows unlike most of you ;)) its not bad at all. There are some cool improvements, there are some bugs, and there are some missing features. It is a beta and I'm sure the final release will be different. The theme has some inconsistencies, but so does OSX with metal, aqua and whatever the new look is called... The transparency effect is actually really neat, like said it blurs whats behind it. And like previously said, they should differentiate between animations for closing and minimizing. And like said, it is like XP, but its adding new features without re-creating the wheel, which is a good idea IMHO. As far as security? I really don't know and don't care, I've never had an issue with either viruses or spyware in my life. But yes, of course, the average user will. The search engine is of the same idea as spotlight but a bit different. Its not bad, but its not great. It's not fully implemented in the Beta 1 build, but it's there. There are some new organizational tools in explorer which are both useful and cumbersome since MS has yet to explain some things to the user (no real help file yet, but thats expected).

Anyways, this Beta is very incomplete, but if they fully complete everything by the time of release it will be a good Windows system. (Note: I said Windows system so that those of you who are alright with Windows will like it, and those of you who aren't will prolly continue to dislike it ;))... anyways It's always a good thing for OS's to move forward otherwise it would all stagnate, so whether or not your a fan, please realize that new releases keeps inovation going... for all companies.

nixgeek said:
The only thing that I thought would really be interesting about Vista was also removed apparently. Monad, which would have been a command shell similar to what Linux/Unix/Mac OS X have, has been removed from the feature list for Vista. Leave it to MS to screw up a command shell as well. :rolleyes:

Are they for sure removing it? I know someone already wrote a virus script in it, so they were thinking of making it an optional add on, but not something that would be a forced install.

Oh great a new Microsoft system. My company still runs 2000! XP is considered unsafe in the office where I work. I was given extra duties with supporting the users 2000 boxes along with the Unix boxes. The largest problem by far, causing me to cut off users, is ignorance of users and so called LAN administrators not updating their virus definitions and security updates.

All of you Windows apologist should stop and smell what you are dishing. The majority of windows users are unaware of their operating system and simple security. This is the very reason why every so often I find an extra helping of spam in my inbox because MOST Windows users likely (even the ones I personally know) have not updated their XP, 2000 box and one or more of them have a spam zombie installed on their machine and I am in their inbox. This is my largest problem with Windows! I don't blame Microsoft, I want to make that clear. I do blame Microsoft users and sellers pushing this operating system that is not for the masses in cheap computers. XP, 2000 can be made safe with extra money and diligence. Most users are ignorant of this or don't care.

OS X is ready for the masses. Yes, OS X needs the occasional security update for the potential security threat. However, compared to Microsoft system, the OS X security is at least 10 years ahead of XP and most likely Vista. The reason for this is painfully simple, Microsoft is expected to support all those different cheap boxes so every operating system since NT 4.0 can run every program wrote since it's release. This is the reason why XP has 10 to 20 year old code written into it. This is the reason why Microsoft XP+ is inherently security is abysmal.

I see similarities... but saying that MS ripped them is going quite a bit... well far. I guess since Windows Vista uses a mouse and has icons, that's a rip too?

Vista doesn't impress me. Neither did the earlier Longhorn PDC releases. All of the interesting technology besides Avalon have disappeared. And pertaining security... all *nix OS are BIND exploit susceptible. Tracking cookies still work. And there are others... just less to worry about than Windows.

Well, not until the Intel x86 switch. Who knows what's going to happen then... might get popular enough to become a true target.

Well, just by looking at the video and a few screen shots. I still believe windows to be clumsy. In the video, he had to close down one of those pop up windows from the task bar. And the start-menu, all I ask on that is why? I believe the tide is turning on M$, simply copying Apple is not enough anymore.

windows, graphically, has moved one step forward with decent blurring in the UI. we only currently have fade and scale effects fully implemented. i'm not saying they are absent, i'm saying they're not being used, and perhaps they should. i really like the concept of trasparent window borders - far less obtrusive, and puts the focus on the content.

however, i will continue to get people on PC's to get macs. they are a much better system from the ground up. i love stealing someones digital camera and plugging it into my mac. i love their reaction as they see i don't do anything, but iphoto opens, and the pictures are imported, sorted, organised and completley usable. without drivers, without having to open photoshop, without third-party crap like olympus camera software. it just... works!

itunes (i know windows has this now, but it's nowhere near as fast) - you put a CD in, it looks on the internet, gets the track names and starts importing it. it then organises it perfectly. it just... works.

windows has a far wider range of peripherals you can use with it.

Mac has a far higher rate of success though. selected things work on macs. nothing works on windows. not first time, anyway....

powermac said:
Well, just by looking at the video and a few screen shots. I still believe windows to be clumsy. In the video, he had to close down one of those pop up windows from the task bar. And the start-menu, all I ask on that is why? I believe the tide is turning on M$, simply copying Apple is not enough anymore.
the popup closed via the task bar originated in the task bar... looked like a Security advisory that's part of WinXP SP2 and Win2k3 Server SP1. Annoyingly closed with one mouse click.

The start menu was like that in WinXP and Win2k3 as well. Mine is using the classic look... small.

Everyone has a preference for how they like GUI. M$ has taken its hits for their GUI philosophy and design. This is not a window bash by any means. In general, my experience with any version of windows is the OS gets in the way of the work flow. Sure, those security reminders, and other pop up events are nice. When they become intrusive to my work flow, of course I get annoyed.
The start-menu, in my view, is clumsy. Sure one can drag icons to the desktop, or task bar on the bottom. Perhaps, like many people, I figured the new version was going to be radically different. Perhaps I got that idea from how much M$ hyped up longhorn, and viewing the beta, it appears some eye-candy features have been added. How to navigate the system and files remains the same. In short, I was looking for M$ to radically change that aspect of Longhorn. Even though I strictly use the Mac only.

:D

nixgeek said:
I am absolutely serious. Even now with XP (once called Whistler) I can't stand the default Luna themes. They are too bulky and too ugly. I always end up back withthe old Classic look. At least THAT was cleaner!

Mac OS X has always had a nice clean look, even with the aqua-ish details. And to be honest, some of the themes that are available to OS X from third parties look even better than the original. Even the third party themes I've seen for XP are not that great. They just don't impress me at all, and it's more of the same with Vista's themes so far.

I agree. I'm on a XP machine now.

I believe Vista (btw what kind of name is that?) is going to slow down the computer even more than XP... and that's saying something. I prefer 2000 over XP anyday, because it is the exact same OS - except it uses the windows classic look and is much faster.

EDIT: Oh and XP programs will run on 2000 too; because 2000 also has transparency and all that other XP stuff.

Ok i'm done now :p

riccbhard said:
I agree. I'm on a XP machine now.

I believe Vista (btw what kind of name is that?) is going to slow down the computer even more than XP... and that's saying something. I prefer 2000 over XP anyday, because it is the exact same OS - except it uses the windows classic look and is much faster.

EDIT: Oh and XP programs will run on 2000 too; because 2000 also has transparency and all that other XP stuff.

Ok i'm done now :p

Yes, I completely agree with you. I also use Windows 2000 over XP.... In fact I can't think of a program that I needed that would run on XP but wouldn't run on 2000. (Ex. iTunes)

Vista will definitely run slower than XP. Have you checked out MS.com for speculated hardware requirments? They act like a Comodore could run it, but really the figures they are showing will eliminate any computer that isn't at least high-mid-range right now.

Scary

Qion said:
Yes, I completely agree with you. I also use Windows 2000 over XP.... In fact I can't think of a program that I needed that would run on XP but wouldn't run on 2000. (Ex. iTunes)

Vista will definitely run slower than XP. Have you checked out MS.com for speculated hardware requirments? They act like a Comodore could run it, but really the figures they are showing will eliminate any computer that isn't at least high-mid-range right now.

Scary

EDIT: Ahem. Yes I see know; maybe for future times you should use "Example" instead of "Ex." which I usually associate with "Except".
:p

Frankly, I'm not impressed at all with Vista at the moment. So windows fade in and out...big deal. Mac OS X had been doing effects (and better than Vista) for a long time now. Looks as though Microsoft is losing the battle. It gets uglier with every release.

I totally agree. Wow, so when you clsoe a window it supposed to look cool. Yay! I am jumping for joy.

they just keeping up with the times. if they didn't do that, then they'd still be seen as being 10 years behind, instead of 4.

Lt Major Burns said:
they just keeping up with the times. if they didn't do that, then they'd still be seen as being 10 years behind, instead of 4.

Not to bash, but nice one :)

well it's true. we act all smug that all our graphical things are so cool. windows does something along the same lines and it's wasted cpu, bloated and timewasting. macfans are so two-faced at times. i personally now feel that the quartz things on my tiger are behind the times now. leopard better have some bloody groundbreaking stuff.

In our defense, it always appears that M$ is copying what Apple engineers have accomplished. I personally can care less if vista/longhorn does. My reason is the interface is ugly, and visually confusing.

Back