Looking for ATI equivalent to the NVidia GeForce GTX 285

Adonsa

Registered
Hi, I searched around for discussions about the GeForce GTX 285 and couldn't find anything.

Last week, I placed a MacMall order for the:

Evga NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 Mac 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe Graphics Card.

later, they alerted me that the 285 has been discontinued so I called them, and found that it is either discontinued or backordered. The MacMall no longer list the GTX 285 Mac, and Tiger Direct lists it as unavailable. The 285 Mac is still available from Other World Computing, but at a much higher price. NewEgg only lists the PC version.

If it turns out that the Mac version of the GTX 285 has been discontinued, what is the equivalent manufactured by ATI-Radeon?

Thanks much!!!

Cheers,
Adonsa

Hi ElDiabloConCaca,

Thanks much for replying with the suggested ATI 4870. Video output ports are not HDMI like the ATI 2600 that comes with the Mac Pro.

The two non-Apple monitors I have can handle both HDMI and DVI, so the setup is OK at least with one monitor. The 2nd output of the 4870 is a Mini-Display port which is believed to be 8 bit only. So, I dunno if I would lose the use of one of the non-Apple monitors or not.

Thanks much,
Adonsa
San Antonio, TX

Hi ElDiabloConCaca,

I just received an email reply from Evga; they have, in fact, discontinued the 01G-P3-1080-TR and have no plans for any other video cards for the Mac.

I bit the bullet and ordered it at a higher price from another vendor that has 5 left. Modifying the PC version of the 285, according to another website, involves both flashing and replacement of a chip.

Therefore, it appears that the ATI 4870 is, in fact, the only alternative in that price range.

Thanks much

Back