Looking for help with our IRC client

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Hopfully most people have seen the announcement about our pre-configured chat client, which is based on MChat.

We're looking for help from this community on improving the client.

The project is hosted on sourceforge .

If you know Objective-C, and have time to help out, please let me know.

You will need to create a sourceforge account. Send me your sourceforge user name and I can add you to the list of developers.

Thanks!

i didn't program for quite a long time, and my machine is not set-up for software developement. But I could help writing some documentation (user's guide ?).

Thanks chevy, that would be great! Do you have a sourceforge account? If you do, I can add you to the project.

I'm still working on setting up the CVS(Concurrent Versions System) which will let us manage multiple people working on the same code. It doesn't seem to work with ProjectBuilder at all.

What is the project name, by the way?

I don't know if I will have time to contribute any, but I would like to take a look at it and maybe contribute.

I could do some graphics stuff. The info window needs a picture :)
My sf user name is k_valen

Originally posted by Captain Code
I'm still working on setting up the CVS(Concurrent Versions System) which will let us manage multiple people working on the same code. It doesn't seem to work with ProjectBuilder at all.

Oh yes, it does! It took me some time to find out, but it really does well. The only prerequisite is that you check-in the yourproject.pbproj as well.

That is, within the yourproject.pbproj (which actually is a directory) there must be a CVS subdirectory containing the Root and Repository files.

The ProjectBuilder then obtains the CVSROOT from the yourproject.pbproj/CVS/Root file. Furthermore, the yourproject.pbproj/CVS/Repository tells it the relative position of the yourproject.pbproj directory in the project hierarchy. This way, Project Builder finds the project's root directory and therefore knows every file in the project.

ProjectBuilder in fact does not require the CVSROOT environment variable to be set, it simply obtains all necessary information from yourproject.pbproj/CVS. I really like that!

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out tonight. Do all the project files have to be in the CVS directory then?

and would like to help, if possible. I think it would give me a great learning opportunity.

I don't have a sourceforge account. perhaps contact me via email to discuss further?

thanks

Originally posted by Captain Code
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out tonight. Do all the project files have to be in the CVS directory then?

Wait a minute.

When you use cvs, the cvs system creates a subdirectory named CVS in each of your project's directories. These CVS subdirectories basically contain three files: "Root" which holds the CVSROOT definition, "Repository" which indicates the relative position of the directory within the project hierarchy and "Entries" which contains a list of all files and subdirectories in the directory.

The CVS directories themselves do not contain any project files. They are just there for bookkeeping purposes and refer to the directory where they are located in.

To make ProjectBuilder aware of CVS in your project you just check-in the yourproject.pbproj file, such as:

cvs add yourproject.pbproj
cvs commit

That's all. This creates the CVS subdirectory within yourproject.pbproj (which in fact is a directory).

However:

1) An appropriate cvs repository for your project must already be there. If it is not yet you must set it up by means of command-line cvs.

2) To use command-line cvs you must setup a CVSROOT environment variable for your project's cvs repository.

Originally posted by zameericle
and would like to help, if possible. I think it would give me a great learning opportunity.

I don't have a sourceforge account. perhaps contact me via email to discuss further?

thanks

In order to add you to the project team at sourceforge, you need an account there. You can create one for free.

if you view the license for NFVersionChecker you'll see that i have asked you to include my name with your project. (not to mention the readme and license with the source code)

could you please fix this breach? thanks

on a slightly less serious note, MacOSX.com chat client being based on mChat is based on some stagnant code. I recomened that you merge with the most recent version of ThinkSecret Chat alpha - version 2.0a11 it's got some slightly cleaner code, and has a better orgonised folder structure.

thanks for your time and cooperation

Actually,
I don't believe we're using that code in our project for functionality. It's included in the source code but the version checking has been disabled.

That's the reason that your name wasn't included.

according to the CVS is it being used, albiet a prelease version
-(void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(NSNotification *)aNotification
{
// check for a new version
[NSThread detachNewThreadSelector:mad:selector(launchCheckVersion) toTarget:self withObject:nil];

and

- (void)launchCheckVersion
{
NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

[versionChecker checkForUpdate:VERSION_URL user:FALSE current:APPBUILDNUMBER];

here is some more proof that it is being used

NSString *VERSION_URL = @"http://homepage.mac.com/scotepi/chat.txt";

If you look at the source code you linked to, you can see that pretty much
everything to do with version tracking has been commented out. The update
button in the app isn't even enabled or showing.

Yes, your header file was still included, but that was just an oversite
because it's not being used.

I've removed all the commented out code and empty methods that were left
there from MChat.

It should be apparant that we're not trying to use your code. Some stuff was just missed.

I just thought I would add that, although you are not using his version checking code, he did add much more additional code to your interface. For example, the toolbar in the app is there because of him, and also the iTunes Music checking feature. If you check the OpenMac credits, I did give credit to him in the about box (and you should be preserving the credits, because their work did go into your app as well).

Doug

Very well. I am going by the MChat code that I downloaded. I didn't see anything in that code to do with who wrote the iTunes code. However, the code I started with I don't think is the latest version.

So, I'll give him credit for those features that we're using.

Thanks for cooperating :) It's not a really big deal, but I did feel that HesNikke deserves credit. Perhaps in future releases, we should put more instructions regarding giving credit where credit is due.

Again, thank you for your cooperation :)

Doug

Back