Looking for help with our IRC client

This probably sounds impolite for my first post, but I was wondering what is the need for a pre-configured IRC chat client. I've been using iRC and have it setup to automatically log me into my normal hangout place as soon as I click the nagging "This is shareware" window away.

While I'm here I was wondering if someone could answer this question for me:
I've downloaded and read the RFC-something specs for the IRC protocol, I'll admit I may be blind because I don't see where it explains how to send a message to a channel. I can understand the part about setting up the connection to a server and joining a channel, but once I'm in, how do I programmactically send a message to the channel? I guess it's just writing a certain command and the input text as a parameter into the open socket, but what's the command? Just plain MSG?

I'm not trying to compete with you guys, my goal is actually to make an IRC bot... the hard way... for a special reason. Thanks for any help you can offer. Put a "Maybe" flag on me for working on your project. I just got the hang of Cocoa/Obj-C but then Trolltech went and released an updated Qt lib for OSX on Monday so I switched over to that becuase I have more experience in Qt.

The goal of the program is to get users who have no idea how to use IRC(finding a server, finding a channel, etc) to be able to get on and chat. With the client, all they have to do is hit connect and they are there. They can start chatting right away and don't have to search all the IRC networks for the right channel.

As for your other questions, try starting a new thread in this forum cause there might not be many people who will look at this thread.

May I offer a suggestion? How about a web based IRC client, so that people would just come to this website, click a link "Chat" and a Java applet will take them to the IRC channel. If you have access to a Windows machine with IE, check out http://www.littlewhitedog.com/chat/ that's the community I belong to and they have an IRC client embeded in a webpage. The downside to that one though is that it's IE webbrowser only. I have no idea if a cross platform Java applet for IRC exists or not. But the one I linked above takes the user to one and only one IRC channel. The same setup could be done for this site if you can get/make a Java applet that's x-browser compatible. Just some of my thoughts.

Back