Losing our Macs to PCs because of $$$$

Where I live, at this time last year, there were quite a few design companies that were entirely macs, and are now either entirely PC or substantially migrated. I saw them migrating when going on-site. I asked one of the larger companies why they are moving away from Macs and he said it was their impression adobe was moving away from Macs .. and they used Adobe products.

I'm not into Pro apps that much so I don't know how much truth there is to that ...

... he said it was their impression adobe was moving away from Macs .. and they used Adobe products.

His impression? He spent all that money because of on an impression? How much money would he have spent if he had a feeling? What about an inkling?

Though relations between the two companies are a bit strained since Apple has been stepping on Adobe's toes with Aperture, et al, that doesn't mean Adobe is going to dump it's prime users: Mac designers.

These companies must have been talking to Quark reps. ;)

Well that wasn't their words exactly - the conversation went on mostly complaining about Adobe's Mac shortcomings - most of their products are on windows .. they aren't very committed to the mac platform as they once were ..

As I said - I'm not into pro apps .. I smiled and nodded to most of what he was saying because I wouldn't know :)

Vista will run the software he mentions with no issues at all, I know I had to test it. Working for an IT department using both PCs and Macs I would have to say that the cost implications of using Macs over PCs is very high, especially if you are looking at Mac Pro over iMac.

I agree that the cost of laptops is much higher for Macs, but from several years of experience, Mac laptops have much longer functional lifetimes than.

As an example, we have Dell Latitude D620 that typically last 2 years before something dies. However, the Powerbook G4s we have are still going strong after 3+ years.

The PC laptops we buy have a life expectancy and warranty of three years which is exactly the same as the Macs. I would agree in the past Mac systems have a had a longer useful life expectancy than their PC counterparts. However the flaw in that point now is under the shiny case they are very much the same beast now.

The only way Macs will out live other PCs is if OSX does not evolve significantly, and that would not be a good thing.

As for Adobe, they started to move from Apple at the time OSX first came out. Ironically they still retain a lot of Mac like functionality, like not being able to zoom out just using the right mouse button, you need to press a key just as you had to with a one button Mac mouse. So maybe they have not moved that far.

The PC laptops we buy have a life expectancy and warranty of three years which is exactly the same as the Macs. I would agree in the past Mac systems have a had a longer useful life expectancy than their PC counterparts. However the flaw in that point now is under the shiny case they are very much the same beast now.

The only way Macs will out live other PCs is if OSX does not evolve significantly, and that would not be a good thing.

Do you mean an Operating system that can run multiple OSes at once? I wonder what operating system can do that?

Your argument is meaningless now OS X and Macs can do multiple operating systems (including Windows). The argument about Macs in business should be about Apple's business commitment. On the business side it is almost non-exsistent compared to other computer manufactures. I am not talking about the server products, I am talking about business support. This is no reflection on OS X, it is a reflection on Apple itself in business.

Back