lost bookmarks on reinstalling Safari

cthompso

Registered
I was having repeated problems with Safari, so I deleted the application and downloaded a new version. Now I have no bookmarks at all. Any way to get them back?

Thanks.

Depends on what version of OS X you're running. Panther comes with Safari 1.1, so if you downloaded Safari (the download version is 1.0) you may experience problems under Panther.

I'm not running Panther (yet), so I don't think that's the problem.

The bookmark file is just where it's supposed to be, but unfortunately it's entirely new; all of the old ones are gone. Oh well. I think I'll just start over.

Thanks.

If you reinstalled Safari without backing up your bookmarks, then they are all gone.

You might want to think about what's important enough on your machine to do daily or weekly backups, just incase anything should happen. Hard Drives do go bad. Backups are really no good unless you backup to a different drive, CD'DVD, Zip, etc.

I backup to another hard drive daily and to aCD weekly.
Besides my business and financial folders, I also backup my mail folder, Safari folder (in the Library) and Documents.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the entire drive to another every couple weeks. I leaned the hard way a few years back.

Number one rule in computing, BACKUP
Ok, maybe that's the number two rule. First would be to use a Mac :)

Thanks, Bob. I actually do have backups, but they're not quite that recent. So I don't think I'm going to bother. . . .

Back