Lost Classic System Folder

Frida

Registered
Help! My OS9 System Folder is no longer recognised as a valid startup folder. Initially I simply got a folder with alternating “?” and the MacOS face flashing when attempting to boot in Classic. I could at this stage still start Classic from the OSX environment. Now, however the OS9 System Folder is not recognised at all. This is what I have done:

-repaired privileges from the OSX install disk a number of times
-ran Norton DiskDoctor 8.0.2 (151) -as part of SystemWorks 3 in both 9 and X (see below)
-ran DiskWarrior 3.0.3 -no problems
-ran Cron scripts

I booted from a backup Pocket Drive on which both the 9 and X folders were recognised but now the OS9 System Folder on THAT TOO is not recognised. Here are some more info from those utilities used:

2004-06-16 16:56:41 -0700 - Repair of privileges has started
Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man1/less.1, should be -rw-r--r--,
they are -r--r--r--
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/less.1
Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/less.1
Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1, should be -r--r--r--,
they are -rw-r--r--
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1
Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1
2004-06-16 17:00:02 -0700 - The privileges have been repaired on the selected volume.

The files when looked up in the Finder actually have slightly different names, and there are four files with similar names;

./usr/share/man/man1/bless.1
./usr/share/man/man1/bzless.1
./usr/share/man/man1/bzmore.1
./usr/share/man/man1/zmore.1

and they all have the following Ownership and Permissions:

Owner: System
Access: read & write
Group: wheel
Access: read only
Others: read only

If I repair the privileges again I get the same report, over and over again. Privileges are never changed.

Norton DiskDoctor when booted in OS9 picked up ‘half a million’ files with bad backup dates, and initially also the following problems with the OS9 System Folder:

Check System Folder
A major error was found in the Boot Blocks.
The signature is incorrect.
(16,1,1)
The problem was fixed.

The system name is bad.
(16,1,2)
The problem was fixed.

The event queue size is bad.
(16,1,11)
The problem was fixed.

When booted in OSX Norton found no problems

I’m running a G4 Powermac with a Sonnet 1.4GHz processor and a Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card and 640 Mb RAM under 10.2.8

I checked the threads on this site but couldn't find anything which helped me. Pleeease anyone?

Bad boot blocks is serious. First, use the OS X CD and boot from it. At the installer screen go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Have that scan the drive under the first aid tab and repair all problems. At this point do not do the repair permissions yet.

You may need to do a clean install of OS 9. Boot from the OS 9 cd, then make sure you do a clean install. Previous system folder will be there, along with a new system folder. Check the previous folder for your third party extensions, control panels, fonts, etc.

The pocket drive probably copied the bad files and blocks... you will need to trash the OS 9 from that and Duplicate the fresh folder to it.

Thanks, Cheryl. I did actually use Disk Utility from the OSX CD but forgot to mention it (I did everything part from a Burmese rain dance!). I do seem to have revived Classic however. After the HD had been repaired I dragged the Finder and System out of the OS9 System Folder, went to Classic in System Preferences (OSX) which, of course, didn't find a valid System Folder, dragged them back again and System prefs found it and I could start Classic! I then did the ultimate test and re-booted after selecting the OS9 folder and it worked like a charm. Will keep monitoring it though and I may still do a clean re-install of OS9, just to be safe. Once again, thanks for your quick reply, Cheryl!

Do yourself a favor and stop using Norton's. It has caused problems like this on disks with OS X installed.

Disk Utility and Disk Warrior may be all that you ever need on OS X, but TechTool Pro is also very good.

Back