Lost Most Items Below the Black Apple - How to Get them Back

vienna01

Registered
I used to have many items below the black apple icon at the top left of the screen such as "system preferences", "restart", "shutdown" and many more. Most of these are gone now. Only "about this mac", "force quit", "location", "log out" and "sleep" remain when I pull down menu items beneath the black apple in the title bar..

Also Finder starts in some limited mode with none of the icons showing on desktop. I have to click on run full finder[or such] to see all the desktop icons.

What have I done to cause this? I have run ONYX for the first time. I configure the preferences for "Archive"

I am at OSX 10.8.4
What shall I do to get these menu items back to be displayed beneath the black apple?

That limited Apple menu is what appears when your account is managed (not an admin account) and the Parental Controls are turned on. There's then an option to change the Finder to the Simple Finder. The Apple menu changes to a very limited list, and there's only three more menu items in the menubar (Finder, File, and Help)
If you look in your System Preferences, then the Accounts pane - what type of account are you using?

That limited Apple menu is what appears when your account is managed (not an admin account) and the Parental Controls are turned on. There's then an option to change the Finder to the Simple Finder. The Apple menu changes to a very limited list, and there's only three more menu items in the menubar (Finder, File, and Help)
If you look in your System Preferences, then the Accounts pane - what type of account are you using?

I found a backup that did not have the problem of limited apple menu. I ran it before I saw your post. I did not have a chance to try fixing admin account or removing parental control. Thanks for the feedback. In addition to Time Machine I have scheduled full backups using Carbon Copy Cloner once a day. Sometimes if I don't catch a problem in time, I have already backed up the problem version. Fortunately I was OK this time.

Back