lost my Net connection in OS9

cwoody222

Registered
OK, I have VerizonDSL and a router. I USED to (before the router) have to use Verizon's PPPoET program to start up my DSL connection. Now that I have a router how do I set it up to see my connection?

OSX works fine - I just turn on the Mac and my connection is there. (and it worked fine before the router too - with no stupid Verizon program).

Classic also works fine.

It's just when I boot into OS9 - nothing.

When I try to open up the TCP/IP Preference pane it tells me that my previous connect "Ethernet" was unavailable and it switches me to AppleTalk.

I have no idea what AppleTalk is.

Note: I'm pretty sure some OS Update actually might have killed my OS9 connection BEFORE I got the router.

I was going to just try to reinstall the Verizon software but now that I have a router I don't know if I need it.

HELP!?

Presumably the DSL has a router/hub of its own at the end of the DSL line and you just plug in the ethernet cable from your Mac. So my first question is why do you need another router?

When you say it worked fine in OS X was that just straight off or were you launching the Internet Connect application?

Either way, I would suggest that it is probably a configuration issue between the router and your Mac.

I need a router because I share the connection with my TiVo. My connection goes:

Wall->Router->Mac (& another line from Router->TiVo)

BEFORE the Router in OSX I had to use the Internet Connect app.

AFTER the Router I just wake the Mac up, wait about 5 seconds and it detects the connect (I use the iChat icon up near the clock as a guide - when it changes to "Available" that means my signal is up).

When I bought the Router hooking it up to OSX was easy. I went to an IP address of the Router (that the instructions gave me) and I walked it thru a few steps in a browser.

I tried that in OS9 and it couldn't resolve the IP address.

Should I try reinstalling the Verizon app or should that not be necessary with the Router?

Boot in OS 9. then open the hard drive>system folder>preferences.
Locate and trash the following:
AppleTalk Preferences
Internet Preferences
TCP/IP preferences
Open the Remote Access folder and trash the pref file in there.

Now empty the trash, restart the computer and hold down the option and the apple keys until you get a dialog box asking if you wish to do a desktop rebuild. This will appear after the extensions load at the bottom of your screen. Release the keys, click on okay. When it is done, go to the Apple Menu>Control panels>TCP/IP and select connect via ethernet. Close the window. It should automatically see the router.

Thanks - that did the trick! :) And I was able to trash all my Verizon programs and Prefs too.

Now...a new problem. My OS 9 iTunes can't see my Music library. I'm pointing it to the right folder but that folder doesn't have any MP3s directly in it - they're all in sub-folders based on Artist (organized by my OS X iTunes program). Can OS 9 iTunes be told to find all the subfolders?

When you are in Os X, all the OS X components take over - so OS 9 iTunes is defunct. What you can do is force the iTune in Os 9 to play a specific file.

Go to the OS X iTunes folder - just double click on a file- OS 9 iTundes should see it.

Before you go further, make sure you have checked the OS 9 Software Update Control Panel and updated all your software from Apple.
While iTunes has been updated for OS X, it could be that OS 9 will not be able to play those mp3 tunes.

Keep in mind that the OS 9 versions of some of your Apple apps are getting further and further behind in functionality compared to the OS X versions. iTunes is a good example, your OS 9 version will not see the OS X library for iTunes. If you must switch back and forth between 9 and X, there might be a program available that allows you to use the same library in iTunes, but the situation is not going to get better. You will probably have to stick with OS X, if that's where most of your setup is

Back