lost too many languages, I guess...

I have an old, but lovely iBook (G3 300mhz, 320 MB, OSX.3.4), and running the "localizer" making the effort of creating some more HD space... erase all the languages, except for Spanish (and american english that can't be dispose, as I understand).
But here the stupid problem:
- the machine is Dutch, and was running OS9.2.2 in dutch!!!

could this be the problem why Classic won't open any longer..?

And if this is all, can I simply copy the missing folders from my iMac that is originally Dutch as well to my iBook(the wrong one)?

yes, I know... very silly of me!, but "delocalizer" allows you to do stupid things too... it should warn you before trashing something so precious

It does 'warn' you, like most utilities and installers Delocalizer asks for your permission. You should be ready to accept the consequences when providing permission (your password)
Monolingual is probably better at this type of cleaning than Delocalizer, and Monolingual does have a specific warning that files cannot be recovered without reinstalling OS X...

...that must be possible, I hope.
After running the long procedure of the installing, I definetelly would like to avoid doing this again...

Isnt' it a way to copy the Dutch language modules in the right places..?
any idea... HELLLPPPPPPPP!

The problem is that every individual program has its own language module. It is not the problem of copying one thing but rather 100's if not 1000's of them. You would be time ahead to just reinstall. If you want to know what you need look inside any application bundle and you will see a folder like /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources which contains a set of lproj files you need to copy the one for the appropriate language back there. Once you have fixed the applications then you can do the bundles and the frameworks :-(

Thanks... I see.

I'll have to go over the install procedure again :D

What a pity... on the other hand, might be usefull to free some more space to the poor old iBook, and install only the necesary applications.

By the way... anyone know what would be a basic Istallation..? for instance I dona't really need iMovie in this iBook. and what else I could spare..? And shall I do a clean install?

thanks again

You want to get Classic running again... so do a clean install of OS 9. A clean install will install a new system folder of OS 9 and rename the old one Previous System Folder.

If OS X is giving you problems, you can do an Archive & Preserve and make sure you select save network settings. You will have a new OS X system folder and the old one will be named previous system.

Some of your programs may need to be reinstalled... such as Stuffit Expander, and scanner stuff.

You do not need Chinese, or Japanese, or German... or any of the other printer drivers, except the one brand name you use.

I don't really get what should I do.
acording to "cheryl" I should only need to reinstall OS9, but the problem started when I erase the Dutch language of OSX,
Sounds ilogical to me to reinstall OS9, when the problem is provoqued by OSX...
Besides, if I use OS9 as the start up disk, everything works perfect in that old system.
What is it going on..?

Thanks for the patiente to all of you.

Now do an archive and preserve of OS X, and remember to click on custom install, to make sure you install Dutch, and any other language you want, unchecking the ones you don't want.

Cheryl said:
Now do an archive and preserve of OS X, and remember to click on custom install, to make sure you install Dutch, and any other language you want, unchecking the ones you don't want.

...so, I'll do a OSX custom install, taking only the few languages I need/miss. Tha'ls all... But what do you mean by "do an archive and preserve of OS X"?
...wouldn't the iBook only modify/add the files missing without doing a complete instalation of OSX? ...do I understand it right?
:eek:

With Panther (10.3) It is best to do a complete install. Archive & Preserve will save your home folder, everything in it and all your applications. It will just replace the system folder.
Start up the Mac with the Disk 1 CD (hold down the c key).
Select the language you want the install to be -the install directions will be in that language.
The welcome window will appear. Click on continue
Read the information in the next window and click on continue.
The software agreement will appear. Click on continue.
An agreement sheet will appear, click on Agree.
The destination window will appear. Click on options.
Select Archive & Install. Make sure Preserve Users and Network settings is checked.
Now select the hard drive.
Click okay.
The next window will show you what is to be installed. Click on custom to select/deselect the languages, printers, etc.

Back