low system memory warning

bearpaw45

Registered
hello,
I'm on a G4 PowerBook running OS 10.2.6. I've been using PS7 and working with photos and have just cleared all my photos off the harddrive by burning CDs. (I know they were consuming a lot of memory.)

Now, when I visit my pbase.com/bearpaw account to view my photo galleries, I get a "low system memory" warning. This is the only place it seems to happen.

Everything appears to be working OK and snappy so I don't know where to start looking for repair. I have Norton Utilities but haven't run it.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I should do to attend to this message.
Thank you.
Peg

You might have large cache files that are taking up lots of space. Try doing a search for any files over 100 MB and see what comes up.

Thanks, Arden. I'm not sure how to do this search. I used the search box and typed in cache files and nothing came up.

Could you tell me how to locate these?
I think this could be it. While I was burning CDs and transferring to my Lacie hard drive, I got the spinning beach ball a couple times and had to do a restart to stop it.
Peg

Zammy-Sam said:
use some software to indicate your ram-use (such as widgets for konfabulator)
Thanks, Zammy-Sam. Is Widgets the name of the software? I'm not familiar with that. I saw some software called cache cleaner for IE. I wonder if that would be a good thing to run??
Again, I'm only seeing this message when I visit my photo gallery page and it is unable to load up and show me the last photo.
I went in and cleared the cache in IE.
Peg

widgets are some kind of plugins for the software konfabulator (check at www.konfabulator.com).
Search for the widgest miniMon, which is displaying the current ram-size and the amount of pageouts (and some more stuff).
Could be interesting to know, what happenes to your ram when you visit your photo gallery page.
Btw, how is it with other browsers? Such as safari...

I'll have to try to get Safari back....I've not used it for a while. For the message says "This program can't use load the image because of low memory" so it must be an IE problem???
Thanks for the info about the widgets. I will definitely check that out.
Peg

to be honest, didn't understand how you try to enter your photo gallery. You said you copied on CD right? And now, what do you need IE for? I just mentioned safari because of an alternative to IE... ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
to be honest, didn't understand how you try to enter your photo gallery. You said you copied on CD right? And now, what do you need IE for? I just mentioned safari because of an alternative to IE... ;)

I was just mentioning the burning of the CDs because that's when this "trouble" started. I uploaded my photos to pbase.com and they're there just fine.
I suspect the problem is with IE and trying to view the gallery using Safari would be a good way to check that out.
Thanks!
peg

How much hard disk space is available (unused) on your OS X drive? People have been experiencing similar warning messages when they have only a little space left on their drives... somewhere in the sub-1.5GB range.

Zammy-Sam said:
Could it be you just have too low memory on that pbase.com account? :confused:
I wouldn't think so since my account allows for uploading 100 MB of photos and I'm only using 6 MB. Interesting thought though.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
How much hard disk space is available (unused) on your OS X drive? People have been experiencing similar warning messages when they have only a little space left on their drives... somewhere in the sub-1.5GB range.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to find this information out. Do I look under the "About this Mac"??
Thanks.

Click once on your hard drive, to highlight it and do Command-I or go to File Menu to Get Info.

That means that you are using 8.1GB of sppace and 47.77GB of space is empty and available to use.

did you find the konfabulator widget?
(God bob, what's going on with you? I hope your personality isn't changing like your avatar)

Back