M$ has surrendered to the Blaster worm

Originally posted by DJHyp3rion
And to this date...my Wintel friends still call me up.
"Phil...Windows made this error...it says (insert some crap error here.)"
"Phil...how do I install RAM?!"
"Phil...what's Napster?"
"Phil..." *sigh*...

Then I got an interesting call...
"Phil...can you help me? I'm having a problem with Windows--O wait...you use a MAC...ugh...never mind. You don't know anything about Windows." *clik*

...He didn't find any of our friends that could help him. His problem? Opening the case of his computer and adding a CD Burner.
My Response: (insert directions to open case/install CD Burner), If you had a Power Mac G4, you could just pull a lever and the case would open.

"Really?"
"Yes."
"Wow...I wish Microsoft would make one like that..."
My head: MICROSOFT?! They make software!!!

I've never met a stupid Mac user in my life. Not yet, at least.
As for stupid PC users...

--Wait...I got another tech support call...one of my Wintel friends again...

(sorry...got a little carried away... I just noticed that's a big ass post)

That post just made my day! :D

Mine as well! And the bigger, the better (even 4 browser pages... thanks Biz Guy!).

The main difference between us: I've been using a Mac all my computing life, ever since my dad got a IIsi to replace our old Apple II when I was 4 or 5 or 6... I think we still have it too!

I like your quotation, Phil.

...and to think I'm going today to help one of my friends again. He's a recent Mac switcher (woohoo), he just switched like a week ago...He's working on getting Windows filesharing up on his network...gonna go help him out, then chill at his house for awhile. Last time I went...his Hard Drive in his iBook was named "C". *eyebrow*...some things will never change...

OH yeah...back on topic. I got a lot of e-mails from people sending me .PIFs...I should download one and open it in TextEdit just to see what kind of code they got going on in there...

I have a Macintosh SE. When my friends are over, they're like "What the hell is that thing?"
So I start it up...maybe even start a game of "Star Roids", or start up MS Word and type up something. And I just love saying this when they're babbling on about how stupid it looks:
"Find me a computer from the year 1987 that will play Star Roids and let me do my homework, and I'll let you talk. Oh yeah, don't forget..." (as I fire up SimpleText and type something and select it...)
The Macintosh says "I can talk."
Usually I'll get a response like "hey, shut up" or something...
One of my other friends...decided to try and be funny. "I can talk too, see!"

BTW, wasn't that a Mac SE that Scotty was trying to talk to in Star Trek V? (I know, I know...sorry...)
OK, OK, On topic. I think Microsoft is doing two things
1) Executing a good plan for surviving a DDoS attack...
2) Proving that Windows' numerous security flaws (yes, flaws. If they weren't flaws, there wouldn't be exploits.) affects the buisiness of everyone...even the mighty Microsoft.

Back Off Topic (Man, I'm on a roll aren't I..)
My friend used to absolutely abhorrently totally fully down to the core of his soul hated Macs. So when I brought my iceBook (plain, old, 'slow', outdated G3) to his house, he was like "Holy Crap...that looks really sleek." I kid you not.
Me: What, are you being sarcastic?
Him: Hell no...that looks really nice. It has a nice...elegance to it...it's 'smooth'...The only thing wrong with it is that stupid Mac OS that it runs.
*RED ALERT! SUBJECT HAS NOT EXPERIENCED (OMG I SAID EXPERIENCED! lol) Mac OS X!!!*
So I set it down on the table, hit the power button and made him SIT there and watch the whole Mac OS X bootup process and me logging in.
His Comment? "That looks like Windows XP."
Me: OS X came out BEFORE XP, you dork. You think Microsoft's stuff is ORIGINAL?
Him: No...
So I decided to do a little "demo" of minimizing a window...with the ol' Shift-key trick. Slow motion.
Him: WHOAAA is there a utility to do that in windows?
Me: Yeah. It's called buying a Mac.

Next I let him use the OS.
Him: How do you know I won't go delete the system folder?
Me: Because you can't without a password. Mac OS X Protects your computer like that. Whereas I could go and log in to your Dell and cripple it. Go ahead, try.
So he dragged the system folder to the trash. *pop* "The Finder needs your password"
Me: Nice try.
And knowing he's always bragging on about reliability, I told him it's based on UNIX.
Him: But like those main server things on the internet use Linux!
Me: Linux is a UNIX Clone. Like Mac OS X, except suckier.
I proceeded to try and take my iBook back.
Him: No wait...this is cool...hold on.
30 minutes later he was STILL exploring OS X. He kept complaining "But the buttons are on the left side" *sigh*
Me: Deal with it. If you hate a whole computing platform because the buttons are on the left, you're pretty stupid.

After that? His main reason not to switch? Not much AOL updates. well, that's true. I wouldn't know... I don't use it.
He proceeded to ramble on about how his favorite games were "Not on Mac" (Quake 3, UT2003, and Tony Hawk 3. hehehe...I just happened to have those games installed.)
Him: I'm going to get a drink. hold on.
I started up Quake 3 and started playing.
Him: HOLY CRAP is that QUAKE 3? LET ME PLAY!
Me: No, remember? it's not on the mac yet. You're hallucinating...

Ahh....good times. :D

(damn...this one was bigger. Well at least it's not, like...10 million little posts.)

I would want to see THIS on a MS site:ù

poweredbymacosxserver.gif
:p

Originally posted by DJHyp3rion
...and to think I'm going today to help one of my friends again. He's a recent Mac switcher (woohoo), he just switched like a week ago...He's working on getting Windows filesharing up on his network...gonna go help him out, then chill at his house for awhile. Last time I went...his Hard Drive in his iBook was named "C". *eyebrow*...some things will never change...
Ah, the plight of the uneducated... (BTW, you can surround "rolleyes" with colons to get :rolleyes:.)
OH yeah...back on topic. I got a lot of e-mails from people sending me .PIFs...I should download one and open it in TextEdit just to see what kind of code they got going on in there...
LOL! Go right ahead! See if the hacker left a digital signature.
I have a Macintosh SE. When my friends are over, they're like "What the hell is that thing?"
"It's your cat after I kicked it. What the hell do you think it is?"
So I start it up...maybe even start a game of "Star Roids", or start up MS Word and type up something. And I just love saying this when they're babbling on about how stupid it looks:
"Find me a computer from the year 1987 that will play Star Roids and let me do my homework, and I'll let you talk. Oh yeah, don't forget..." (as I fire up SimpleText and type something and select it...)
The Macintosh says "I can talk."
Usually I'll get a response like "hey, shut up" or something...
One of my other friends...decided to try and be funny. "I can talk too, see!"
Your Mac can probably pronounce big words a lot better than your friends. Do they not realize that speech is built in to a computer from the friggin' 80's?
BTW, wasn't that a Mac SE that Scotty was trying to talk to in Star Trek V? (I know, I know...sorry...)
Something like that.
OK, OK, On topic. I think Microsoft is doing two things
1) Executing a good plan for surviving a DDoS attack...
2) Proving that Windows' numerous security flaws (yes, flaws. If they weren't flaws, there wouldn't be exploits.) affects the buisiness of everyone...even the mighty Microsoft.
What about proving that they're rather incompetent at what they do because Windows has so many flaws in the first place? You'd think a company like Microsoft would get it that they have to provide as good built-in security as they can due to the vast range of systems that their OS runs on.
Back Off Topic (Man, I'm on a roll aren't I..)
Eh, we've had a lot more off-topic heated discussions in other more topic-specific categories than this.
My friend used to absolutely abhorrently totally fully down to the core of his soul hated Macs. So when I brought my iceBook (plain, old, 'slow', outdated G3) to his house, he was like "Holy Crap...that looks really sleek." I kid you not.
Well, duh, that's the whole point... Apple makes computers that look cool, run cool and work extremely well.
Me: What, are you being sarcastic?
Him: Hell no...that looks really nice. It has a nice...elegance to it...it's 'smooth'...
Like a fly to honey. :)
The only thing wrong with it is that stupid Mac OS that it runs.
*RED ALERT! SUBJECT HAS NOT EXPERIENCED (OMG I SAID EXPERIENCED! lol) (Wow!) Mac OS X!!!*
So I set it down on the table, hit the power button and made him SIT there and watch the whole Mac OS X bootup process and me logging in.
His Comment? "That looks like Windows XP."
No, Windows XP looks like the Mac OS.
Me: OS X came out BEFORE XP, you dork. You think Microsoft's stuff is ORIGINAL?
Him: No...
Very astute. He actually knows something about Microsoft. :D
So I decided to do a little "demo" of minimizing a window...with the ol' Shift-key trick. Slow motion.
I still love this trick... it could be because I don't use MOX regularly.
Him: WHOAAA is there a utility to do that in windows?
Me: Yeah. It's called buying a Mac.
LOL!! I love this line! One of the funniest I think I've ever read on this board!
Next I let him use the OS.
Him: How do you know I won't go delete the system folder?
Me: Because you can't without a password. Mac OS X Protects your computer like that. Whereas I could go and log in to your Dell and cripple it. Go ahead, try.
So he dragged the system folder to the trash. *pop* "The Finder needs your password"
Heh...
Me: Nice try.
And knowing he's always bragging on about reliability, I told him it's based on UNIX.
Him: But like those main server things on the internet use Linux!
Me: Linux is a UNIX Clone. Like Mac OS X, except suckier.
Maybe less elegant, less refined... definitely not suckier. Remember, there is Half-life for Linux. Where do you see Half-life for Mac? (ST00p1d moddafockin' Sierra! Sorry...)
I proceeded to try and take my iBook back.
Him: No wait...this is cool...hold on.
With a Wintel box, he'd probably be like, "Take it. I hate this thing." :)
30 minutes later he was STILL exploring OS X. He kept complaining "But the buttons are on the left side" *sigh*
Me: Deal with it. If you hate a whole computing platform because the buttons are on the left, you're pretty stupid.
He really said that? That's like complaining about a car because the temperature switch and the fan strength switch are switched on the dashboard compared to your own car! Wow.
After that? His main reason not to switch? Not much AOL updates. well, that's true. I wouldn't know... I don't use it.
Tell him to ditch GayOL and get a real ISP. One that won't abuse him. Like Earthlink.
He proceeded to ramble on about how his favorite games were "Not on Mac" (Quake 3, UT2003, and Tony Hawk 3. hehehe...I just happened to have those games installed.)
Yeah, neither are Photoshop or MS Office.
Him: I'm going to get a drink. hold on.
I started up Quake 3 and started playing.
Him: HOLY CRAP is that QUAKE 3? LET ME PLAY!
Me: No, remember? it's not on the mac yet. You're hallucinating...
LOL! Another great line!
Ahh....good times. :D

(damn...this one was bigger. Well at least it's not, like...10 million little posts.)
Well, as long as it's not a full-out book.

So did you finally get him to switch to Mac? After all that wowing and proof of compatibility with his favorite pastimes, he has no reason not to switch.

Back