Mac Apps Default Location

13one

Registered
Ok... I'm a Mac newbie who's done something stupid. After getting my Mac and playing around with it for a few days I started to realize how much I hated the fact that the apps in the Application folder were not organized. On my PC I put all of my internet stuff in a folder called 'Net' (ex. ie, firefox, trilllian, etc...) and orginized my other applications acordingly.

So then I decided to do this with my Mac apps. Little did I know that if I did this, the updater would not be able to find them to let me know if there were any updates for them. Really, who would ever think it would work like that. I mean, I can make an alias of an app or file, move the original and the alias will still find the file. I surely thought the updater would be able to find the apps.

To make a long story a little shorter, I would like to know what you guys suggest I do. I don't know where all of the apps were originally but if someone posted that info maybe I could move all the apps back where they go. Or I guess my other option is to reinstall. I don't really want to reinstall becase I have all of my settings the way I like them n' stuff... Anyway, any help is much apreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:// Jake

Any applications that Apple supplies should remain in the Application or Utility folder, where they were originally installed. Other apps, it doesn't matter.

Utility Folder;

Activity Monitor
Airport stuff
Audio Midi
Bluetooth
Color Sync Utility
Console
Digital Color Meter
Directory Access
Disk Utility
Grab
Grapher
Installer
Java
Keychain Access
Migration Assistant
NetInfo Manager
ODBC Administrator
Printer Setup Utility
System Profiler
Terminal
Voice Over Utility
========================
Applications;

Address Book
Applescript
Automator
Calculator
Chess
Dashboard
Dictionary
DVD Player
Font Book
iCal
iChat
Image Capture
Internet Connect
iPhoto
iSync
iTunes
Mail
Preview
Quicktime
Safari
Sherlock
Stickies
System Preferences
TextEdit
Utilities Folder

Also, to make things easier, try to use aliases (shortcuts) to organize your applications. I find that a folder with sub-folders (like "Applications," "Internet," etc.) that contain aliases to the actual application helps me to access my applications in an organized way. Drag this folder to the Dock, and you've got a handy application-launching menu (when control- or right-clicked).

This way, all applications can reside in the Applications folder and can all be properly updated, but accessing them is more organized than looking through that folder.

Thanks a lot, both of you. I think I've gotten everything back the way it should. I'll try out that alias thing you suggested ElDiabloConCaca. thanks again.

Back