Mac book pro...ran out of power during fresh OSX install... :/

maccrashed

Registered
Hi,

I currently have my old, MacBook Pro "Core Duo" 1.67 15" Model : a1150. 2006.

It's sitting dead under my bed at the moment, as last year while doing a fresh install of OS X my power went down and it ran out of battery half way through the installation..! School boy error.

When i power on the laptop, it starts up,but nothing displays on the screen. Its not backlit either or gray screen.

I've tried holding shift straight at start up, nothing

and also tried Shift-Command-V, nothing

I've tried putting in the OS X cd, 1 and 2 but it does nothing. It doesn't 'suck in' the cd. So it can't be read.

Does anyone have any ideas what they would do? It would be nice to get her up and running again..as she was working fine, just wanted to clean her up with a new install.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Nick

Last edited:
Try to reset the power manager:
Disconnect the power adapter, and remove the main battery.
Hold the power button down for 5 seconds, then release. Nothing noticeable will happen, but the reset is complete.
So, reinstall the main battery, and connect the power adapter.
Press the test button on the battery. Do any lights appear on the battery? If the battery has no charge, then you should get one light. If it has sat for a long time, you may want to let this sit for 10 minutes or so, to let the battery begin charging. All lights on, means the battery is fully charged. The power adapter plug should be green while attached, unless the battery is charging, which should then show an orange/amber light on the power plug.
Do a PRAM reset on your first try at a power on:
Press and release the power button, and immediately press and hold Option-Command-P and R.
You should hear the boot chime sound. Continue to hold those same 4 keys, until you hear the boot chime 2 more times.
Then, release the keys to let your Mac boot normally. I think it's likely if there's a failed OS X install, that it won't boot, other than showing a flashing folder on the screen (meaning that there's not a bootable system installed).
But, it's a good indication if the screen lights up, and you can see anything appear on the screen (even an error message of some kind)
AND, you can just insert your OS X installer DVD, erase the hard drive (use Disk Utility from the Utilities menu to erase the hard drive), and try the install...
Let us know how that goes... or if you even get that far... :D

Try to reset the power manager:
Disconnect the power adapter, and remove the main battery.
Hold the power button down for 5 seconds, then release. Nothing noticeable will happen, but the reset is complete.
So, reinstall the main battery, and connect the power adapter.
Press the test button on the battery. Do any lights appear on the battery? If the battery has no charge, then you should get one light. If it has sat for a long time, you may want to let this sit for 10 minutes or so, to let the battery begin charging. All lights on, means the battery is fully charged. The power adapter plug should be green while attached, unless the battery is charging, which should then show an orange/amber light on the power plug.
Do a PRAM reset on your first try at a power on:
Press and release the power button, and immediately press and hold Option-Command-P and R.
You should hear the boot chime sound. Continue to hold those same 4 keys, until you hear the boot chime 2 more times.
Then, release the keys to let your Mac boot normally. I think it's likely if there's a failed OS X install, that it won't boot, other than showing a flashing folder on the screen (meaning that there's not a bootable system installed).

But, it's a good indication if the screen lights up, and you can see anything appear on the screen (even an error message of some kind)
AND, you can just insert your OS X installer DVD, erase the hard drive (use Disk Utility from the Utilities menu to erase the hard drive), and try the install...
Let us know how that goes... or if you even get that far... :D

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, nothing worked...!

I tried holding down the keys after powering on the laptop, it starts, but the screen doesn't light up and no chiming sound :( No flashing folder etc..

Doesn't accept the cd either

Good, good...
What else happened?
Does the power adapter plug light come on? What color?
Is the battery charged?
How many lights do you see when you press the test button on the battery?

How do you know that anything happens when you press the power button?
You should hear the fans' faint hum, and you may hear the hard drive spin up.
In a normal working system, after pressing the power button, the front LED sleep light should come on. That light in the latch should then go out, when the screen lights up. Does the sleep light stay on all the time? That's the little light in the front latch.

Try the power, then shine a bright light into the screen. Do you see any faint image, and the screen backlight is just not coming on?
If you press the caps lock key, does that key light come on?
Do you ever hear any extra beeps from the system after you power on?
The front sleep light, at initial power, will stay on steady, until it goes off when the main screen lights up.
Does the front sleep light ever flash, in a sequence of any kind, such as once per second?
Try the same resets (both the power manager, and the PRAM resets) a second time.
Try reseating the RAM chips (swap the chips between the slots, and double-check that both are firmly seated)

Finally, if you let the system sit in a partly powered-on condition, does it suddenly shut itself off? 5 minutes should be long enough for this to possibly happen.

I also have a MacBook2,1, which is using the Mac OS X system v.10.6.8. We have completed the SMC= reset several times, the battery and charger are both less than 6mos of age(which were purchased in Feb. 2012). I have listed below the stats for this MacBook. The serial number has been blocked out and this laptop is at least 8 yrs old but i do not think that a battery and charge less than a year old should (charger and battery for this MacBook purchased less than 6 months ago) have issues.....Please provide any additional help in regards to this situation.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.17f0
Serial Number (system): =======XZ5V
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B633751D2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Mac OS X
Version 10.6.8

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 513
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5296
Health Information:
Cycle count: 313
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1098
Voltage (mV): 10734

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: No
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

@ Latrice Mays
You didn't actually say what kind of problem you are trying to correct.

Your battery shows a good Full Charge Capacity. (the 5296 mAh figure)
It does show a high charge count. 313 charge cycles is really high for less than 6 months.
That, by itself, does not indicate a problem, except with the way that you choose to use your MacBook.
This is not part of how long you have had the battery, but the large number of full charge cycles that you are subjecting that battery to.
The design expectation for life of your battery is 300 charge cycles, and you are already past that.
It shows good on your list now, but you'll probably find that you will get maybe another year, at the most.
So, you will end up with a fairly short life for the battery.
Your list shows that the battery is presently almost fully discharged.
So, I'm guessing that your problem is that your MacBook is NOT recognizing the power adapter.

When you attach the power adapter, does the light on the adapter plug light up at all?
Is the cable from the adapter to your Macbook (including the magsafe connector) in good condition (no breaks or worn spots in the wire, etc)?
Be sure to look carefully at the magsafe connector (internal to your Macbook). Does it look clean, with nothing interfering with the magnetic connection, and the cable to connector is seating firmly, and completely? Particularly look at the condition of the 4

Back