Mac Cube?

Will_Richo

Green & Growing
Hi, I am looking for some advice on a Mac Cube that i am being offered to buy.

It is a G4 450- 256 ram, 20 gig hd, with ir mouse, speakers, int dvd, external cdr, and 17'' edge to edge mac digital monitor. Oh also an airport card installed. os9 and panther. ALL MAC ORIGINAL H/WARE AND DISCS.

The price tendered so far is £700 sterling.

Is the machine a good spec etc?
Reliable?
Is the cost good?

look forward to you input.

Thanks

700 UK £ is a bit high for that. In US the prices can be very roughly around 500 $. In UK more but .. search on ebay uk etc to see more prices.
Good and reliable, but 256 MB RAM .. I'd add more RAM (and pay less).
Where were you offered the Cube?

Then again, there are not many cubes around. I do know people who would pay anything to get one ...

Hi. It is a good friends father who is selling it. I have just seen it has put it on e-bay also. No 5123268756 and the monitor 5123440586

5 days to go and at £417 combined at present.

Are they good? and also do you know what the max ram allowed?

Thanks

:)

I've always seen the Cube as the pioneer for all these small-form-factor PCs that you see nowadays. I would love to own one, yet my 2 boys come first. :p

It's a pretty good machine, and yes, nowadays it does command a high price due to it becoming SO popular after Apple discontinued it.

why would you want an old slow mac?? sure it's small and compact. but it's out of date. save your money for something newer and more current.

you want it because its a landmark. it was the first mass produced consumer ultra small form factor pc. plus, its looks fsking shweet.

Convert said:
Why did Apple discontinue it?

Because it was extremely overpriced, which impacted sales considerably. Plus, as a "pro" machine, it was barely upgradable. RAM and CPU, sure, but it only supported one internal hard drive and was crippled by the lack of RAM slots (3, I believe, for a max of 1.5GB).

They are extremely nice machines -- dead quiet and tiny. With a CPU upgrade and maxed-out RAM, they can be nice Panther machines... but slow bus (100MHz) and lack of other upgrade options will cause the machine to feel old in two years or so.

My advice is to only purchase a cube if you're into Macintosh nostalgia and like the Macintosh experience so much that you'd give up a level of performance for a level of coolness. For a few hundred more, you can get a much more powerful machine.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Because it was extremely overpriced, which impacted sales considerably. Plus, as a "pro" machine, it was barely upgradable. RAM and CPU, sure, but it only supported one internal hard drive and was crippled by the lack of RAM slots (3, I believe, for a max of 1.5GB).

They are extremely nice machines -- dead quiet and tiny. With a CPU upgrade and maxed-out RAM, they can be nice Panther machines... but slow bus (100MHz) and lack of other upgrade options will cause the machine to feel old in two years or so.

My advice is to only purchase a cube if you're into Macintosh nostalgia and like the Macintosh experience so much that you'd give up a level of performance for a level of coolness. For a few hundred more, you can get a much more powerful machine.

As always good info, me amigo.

Will let you know how it pans out. I think he will get more than i have just offered him on E-Bay. To as you say someone who really wants the MAC factor.

I have been wanting one just to have as a file server sittin' off in the corner with no monitor and keyboard and mouse, just an 8 inch cube. and i want one just because they are so cool even though an entry level emac would beat it.

Yep, beautiful, compact little buggers, aren't they? I could fit 14 cubes into the space that my G4 and dual CRT monitors take up. I know -- I just measured and counted.

Makes me sick.

Hi,

I've had many Macs over the years and I got my wife a Cube. It is the 450 MHz version stock in all respects except it has:

- 768 Mb Ram
- 80 MB WD 7200 RPM 8Meg Cache
- Airport card
- Apple 15" LCD display

Very workable configuration. Memory and disk are important for speed and generally my wife has no problems with responsiveness. One major problem with the Cube is that our cats like walking over the top of it and this can turn it off at unexpected moments. :eek:

You HAVE to stop putting the catnip on top of it... :p

Seriously though, you might want to place it somewhere that the cat can't get to it easily. I have a cat also and she used to go in my desk and start playing with the mouse cable, which would drive me crazy. Eventually I "taught" her that the desk isn't a place for a cat. (Don't ask me how, but she never goes inside of it anymore. Maybe her getting spayed had something to do with it... :D)

If the Cube is in an office or something, you might want to close the door when you aren't in there so that the cat won't be tempted to go in.

the cat is probibly hitting the power button. if i remember correctly on those you just touch the power spot and dont actually push it.

One thing you get to understand is cats own you not visa versa. My wife is owned by several cats (12 of them) as well as being a cat judge and up to her neck in cat orginisations ::love:: I guess you would say I'm very tolerant!

Yes the Cube's power switch is a capacitance sense switch so it can be activated easily by any of the cats. We just live with it as MacOS X is very tolerant of unexpected power down sequences :) So far with journaling and autosaving she really has not lost anything. What a great ad for MacOS!!!

We hopefully solved the problem. She is getting a brand new iMac G5 in a month or so. It will be wireless completely except for the power cord so the cats will have to work much harder to make their mark. Boy the wait is hard. My PB G4 Al 1 GHz is a cat free zone. The Cube will probably go to my son who has a B&W G3. :)

JohnDProctor said:
One thing you get to understand is cats own you not visa versa. My wife is owned by several cats (12 of them) as well as being a cat judge and up to her neck in cat orginisations ::love:: I guess you would say I'm very tolerant!

Yes the Cube's power switch is a capacitance sense switch so it can be activated easily by any of the cats. We just live with it as MacOS X is very tolerant of unexpected power down sequences :) So far with journaling and autosaving she really has not lost anything. What a great ad for MacOS!!!

We hopefully solved the problem. She is getting a brand new iMac G5 in a month or so. It will be wireless completely except for the power cord so the cats will have to work much harder to make their mark. Boy the wait is hard. My PB G4 Al 1 GHz is a cat free zone. The Cube will probably go to my son who has a B&W G3. :)

Aaahhhhh...a whole Mac family!!! I can only dare to dream. My wife is a stark Windows user. I use a PC but mainly with Slackware, but if I had to have a commercial OS on a computer it would be Mac OS X on a PM G5 (or anything Power Mac that would run 10.3 optimally) or PowerBook. I really don't need Windows as I could either get the version of my favorite games on Linux or the Mac or run it using WINE or Virtual PC. :p

I even find myself choosing my Quadra 650 with 7.6.1 over the Windows machine. My only complaint on it is iCab, but that's tolerable. Hopefully I can afford to get some sort of new Mac eventually....

Back