mac finder windows

roninsmurf

Registered
hiya. its frustrating me that my finder /folder windows always open the same/wrong way. (at least not how i want them to.)
i want them to open in list view, with name column first-- and i want that column width x -- then size column next, width y -- etc
but every time i open a new window that has yet to be told what to do, it always starts in icon view with no idea how wide i want the columns once i switch it to List.
this is a big deal for me because i create a lot of new folders

any ideas?

similarly, i'm amazed at how buggy icon-grids can be in osx
i find when i have a folder window open a lot-- moving new icons in and out -- the grid suddenly moves and now the icons that've been sitting there for a while are now suddenly confused and out of the new grid.
the one NEW icon that reset the grid layout feels it's on the grid, but then i have to move all the others -- sometimes when i do this, the folder window FLIPS OUT and shoots the icon way off to the left, etc, throwing off my meticulously sized window and making me replace ALL the icons on the grid.... harumpf.

any thoughts?

i'm macbok pro. 10.4.11

thanks as usual. you guys are great.

roninsmurf@aol.com

Well have you tried to go to the folder /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and find the file com.apple.finder.plist and drag it to your trash. After that go to desktop, then click on the work "Finder" in the menu and reset your Finder's preferences en when you open Finder windows size them the way you want.

Goood Luck.

good idea -- though i've trashed that before and doesn't it make a bunch of stuff wonky? what will i lose when i trash that?

ps: these two problems have existed ever since i started with osx 10.4 -- doesn't seem to matter about the plist....

anyone else notice this??

thanks guys! your help is much appreciated -- but i may not be being clear.
when i create a NEW folder
shft+cmnd+n
it wont open in the right pre-planned way/format
ie, i want a NEW folder to automatically open in say....LIST VIEW with the 2nd column being SIZE
instead, a NEWLY CREATED folder-window always starts in icon view with the darned toolbar on the side. i then have to alter each one. arg!
this even happens with my trash folder-window every darned time i restart my computer -- it simply can't remember i want things in non-toolbar/ window sized this big/ etc

i do understand how to MODIFY a newly created folder window to one's parameters. once i fix how the folder window is displayed, yes, it keeps its "form"
But: what i'm wanting to do here is pre-set how a new window will appear. --and fix how the danged trash window always appears re size/ etc
i make 50 new folder windows a day, so you can see how having to customize each one -- is a huge bother

re: the icons.
when i do want a folder displayed by icons, i haven't found the grid to be consistent at all.
it's mainly about putting a new file into the "gridded" folder.
in comes the new file, and the grid suddenly MOVES. off a few pixels
i can't keep icons arranged by any criteria -- i need them to be spacially collected the way my brain works. it's not as easy as being alphabetical.
so when i have, say,
3 icons stacked
then a space below
then another 2 icons grouped below the space
...that order is important to me
when i add another icon to the lower stack, about 50% of the time, the danged window takes the NEW icon, puts it into a NEW GRID, making a mockery of the old icons' collective grid.
the NEW GRID now reigns, and i have to carefully drag each old icon out of place so they now snap back to the NEW grid.
the biggest annoyance here is that if i drag more than 4 icon out of place so they snap to the new grid -- or if i use CLEAN UP -- sometimes the window throws the icons all over the place -- literally into new columns out of view -- i have to resize the danged window and reset everything. really a pain....

Back