Mac G5 Desktop or MacbookPro?

cory1848

Registered
I currently have a G4 Dual 867 MDD that is getting painfully slow. I need a new machine but cant decide against a used G5 2.3 PowerPC for around $600 and a regular macbook...or bit the bullet and get a new MBP at $2k... My G4 is my current production machine that I use for freelance photography and design. I have a server so space isnt a huge concern, but cant decide if mobility is... I have never owned a laptop before so I kind of like the idea but If I get one, it would have to serve as a production machine as well. So, will a MBP be a lot more powerful than my current system? or, with my other option, getting a used G5 and a regular macbook for about the same price point...

THoughts?

You've said much of what you need to know in one word - mobility. Does your work require you to cart a computer about? If so, then the MBP will do the job, and you can always run an external monitor etc from it. If you're deskbound, or confined to a workspace like a studio, then a desktop machine could well suit you better.

A used PPC G5? Are you using pre-Intel software, and do you still work occasionally in a Classic environment? If not, then look about for a used Intel or refurbished iMac.

In either or any event, the alternatives to your MDD will be better.

My main apps are Adobe CS2 and CS3 suites, MS Office 08 and Lightroom 2.0, I believe those are all Intel ready apps, they are all working on my MDD good, just slow at time...No more classic environment for me :) Was thinking the G5 PPC because of price right now. Getting a low end book and a 2-3 year old desktop or one MBP....

I am not confined to a desk...well I am right now cause its all I have... Been doing a lot of photography and mobility might become an issue, there are times I wished I had a notebook but havent lost any jobs over it yet. I have dual displays right now and I assume I will lose that going strictly with a notebook...

A laptop will operate an external monitor, no problem, I've seen that in operation many a time. Not too big though. I've worked with photographers for over a decade now and never seen one with a laptop in tow. Lots of other things in those shoulder bags :) For some reason, maybe because I've only ever owned one laptop - a Toshiba that Noah used to count the animals - I'd have a desktop and laptop combo.

What convinced me to go with a laptop--original Powerbook 520!--was you can hook up anything to want to one.

I currently have a very nice monitor hooked up and use both at the same time. So monitor capability is not a problem.

The G4 will be slower than the MacBook. MacBook Pro is even faster to a point. Other things to consider is what you wish to hook up to your laptop. Do you have peripherals that use FireWire? I hear rumor that some of the newer ones are not including FW capability for some reason.

--J.D.

No firewire items...just usb... What I mean by mulitple monitors, is that I dont believe MBP support dual monitors, do they, or can they?

What about comparing a MBP to the older G5 desktop I was thinking of getting? in terms of processing power and graphics card...

also, looking at the mac store, are they not making lower end towers anymore? All I see is the Macpro starting at $2700....

When you say "Dual Monitors" I assume you mean more than one monitor in which they can act as a "mirror" of your main monitor or as part of one large huge collective monitor.

The answer would them be "yes."

--J.D.

I have a 22inch and a 10 inch connected to my mac in extended format. Would I be able to use both of those with a MBP? I thought the macbook only have one out on the card? I am not including the laptop screen itself, cause it would be closed if working at my desk.

No, you can only use one external monitor with a MacBook Pro.

There are workaround including USB-to-VGA and USB-to-DVI connectors, but they have limited support on the Mac and generally don't perform well.

Back