Mac Help crashes

cducasse

Registered
I didn't have this problem with os 10.3.9. Since I upgraded to 10.4.2 my help crashes. I loads like usual, and then disappears from the dock and goes away. Any suggestions of why this is happening?

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Yep, a Preference file became screwed up. This will be an semi-easy fix. Just mosey over to ~/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the Preference file com.apple.help.plist . Then restart the Help Application. I hope this helps.

cducasse

Registered
I tried dumping the file you told me to dump, and it didn't work. The problem is still persistant.

Should I go see a Mac Genius at the new Northbrook IL store? Or is there something else that should work.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, it doesn't go unappreciated!

Chris

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
Trash that same preference again and also this one 'com.apple.helpviewer.plist'

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Yep. It's been a long-known issue with Mac Help. If you get rid of _all_ its preference files (really only 2? I thought it was 3...) it should work again.

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
In 10.4.2, I only see two.

Go to User/Library/Caches and delete the com.apple.helpui folder

cducasse

Registered
it helped. Thanks for all your attention guys. This is surely support I could not find as a PC user.

Maybe I'll go see a Mac Genius anyway just because I like going to the new Northbrook store :)

f_h_petrone

Mac User
HI! I trashed both documments, emptied the trash and relauched. Nothing happened, Mac Help still doesn't do searches, itunes, garage band and other apps helpers work fine though..... any suggestions?