Mac Help crashes

cducasse

Registered
I didn't have this problem with os 10.3.9. Since I upgraded to 10.4.2 my help crashes. I loads like usual, and then disappears from the dock and goes away. Any suggestions of why this is happening?

Yep, a Preference file became screwed up. This will be an semi-easy fix. Just mosey over to ~/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the Preference file com.apple.help.plist . Then restart the Help Application. I hope this helps.

I tried dumping the file you told me to dump, and it didn't work. The problem is still persistant.

Should I go see a Mac Genius at the new Northbrook IL store? Or is there something else that should work.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, it doesn't go unappreciated!

Chris

Trash that same preference again and also this one 'com.apple.helpviewer.plist'

Yep. It's been a long-known issue with Mac Help. If you get rid of _all_ its preference files (really only 2? I thought it was 3...) it should work again.

In 10.4.2, I only see two.

Go to User/Library/Caches and delete the com.apple.helpui folder

it helped. Thanks for all your attention guys. This is surely support I could not find as a PC user.

Maybe I'll go see a Mac Genius anyway just because I like going to the new Northbrook store :)

HI! I trashed both documments, emptied the trash and relauched. Nothing happened, Mac Help still doesn't do searches, itunes, garage band and other apps helpers work fine though..... any suggestions?

Back