mac mini boot problem

tfpowell1952

Registered
I have a mac mini. When I try to boot it, I see the Apple logo and segmented time moving. These are on a b/w screen. Then the screen, very quickly, show static like lines and the screen then goes blue. Any ideas what may be wrong?

Could you provide us with some info on: processor type (PPC, Intel), version of macos, did the mini earlier on as it should, etc.?
And what do you mean with "segmented time moving"?

It is ppc with panther running. It has a 256mb ddr mem chip. It work on Tuesday and then I moved it. That is when the problem began. No dropping just moved it from room to room. The segmented thing I refer to is below the Apple logo. It goes clockwise as the machine boots.

BTW. The keyboard and mouse light up. The "bong" sounds as it boots.

Thanks for any help.

Read the Apple document Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck. If you don't have the current install disk then look at the fsck portion of the document and boot into single-user mode and run the fsck (it means file system check). Keep running the fsck command until it sauys everything is good. After that point just type the command:
Code:
reboot
This will reboot you back in regular startup mode. Good Luck and consider maybe getting a new hard disk for such an old computer.

Back