Mac Mini keeps stopping to work

ganzoltd

Registered
I have a mini that has 10.5.8 installed. I was away for 6 months so I shut it down. When I turned it back on I got the spinning wheel forever. I kept retrying to boot up with no luck. I was able to then re-install 10.5.4 and upgrade it to 10.5.8 again. I run virtually no programs except for iTunes. I use it as a music jukebox. In the middle of playing a song after hours of working fine it just stopped. Frozen. No way to reboot, again just the spinning wheel. So I tried to re-install again and after the 3rd try with a freeze in the middle of each attempt I finally got a warning saying there was a problem with the hard drive. This is after running Disk Utility and Disk Warrior which both said the disk was fine. Now I am trying to install it on an external drive. It stopped in the middle again. Now on my 3rd external attempt it seems to be installing but it is a USB drive, not firewire. I don't know if it will boot the system or not.
Is there a way that I can replace the internal drive? Is there a solid state drive available and compatible?
The machine is only 2 years old and I keep all the music files on an external firewire drive so the internal drive is used only to run iTunes. I need help.

Boot with the Install disk but when the install first starts up, stop it and hunt the Finder menu items, on the disk and find in the menu item "Disk Utility". Run that to your startup disk and see if the hard drive is acting up.

Back