Mac Mini Online Website (Is it possible)

BioCore

Registered
I was wondering if it is possible to create my own personal website on my own personal Mac Mini that is viewable across the internet. Something similar to what this website is offering: LINK

Basically I would like to be able to either create my own website or use online CMS software like Wordpress/Joomla on it to develop them. I would also like to have a way to link a domain name to the mac mini server if possible.

Is it then possible to configure the mac mini into a real website server?

Also, if by any chance anyone here has a good website with a tutorial on how to do this it would be great to have something to read on this topic.

Yes, you can do this. There are a few things you need to read up on:

1) Do you have a dynamically-assigned IP address assigned to you for your internet access, or do you have a static IP? You can find out by contacting your ISP, or possibly researching this on their website. If you have a dynamic IP address, then you'll need an account at a place like dyndns.org.

2) Are you behind a router (wireless, wired, etc.)? If so, you'll need to read up on "port forwarding" -- your router's manual will have information on how to do this with your router. Specifically, you need to forward port 80 to your Mac mini's local IP address.

3) Do you already have a domain name (i.e., "something.com") that you'd like to use? If so, you'll need to contact your registrar (or visit their website) and research "domain forwarding" -- specifically, you'll want to forward the domain to the domain name you signed up for in step 1 at a site like dyndns.org

4) After all this is done, you'll need to activate "Web Sharing" in the "Sharing" pane of the System Preferences on your Mac mini. You can read about how to create and serve websites on Mac OS X by visiting apple.com and researching the appropriate documents.

This should get you started -- if you have any specific questions or if you run into trouble researching this information, post back and we'll help to the best of our ability.

Back