Mac Mini Stacks....

I was thinking when they launched the Mac mini that it wouldn't be a bad idea for Eye-TV or Formac to just repackage a few of their existing consumer-line TV/Video input adapters into a case designed to match the Mac mini in this way -- though I was thinking one that tucks in under the mini, but yeah.

A coaster for multiple drinks! Just apply a little all-purpose every now and then to keep the top nice and clean. :D

That stack is cool. Apple could add to the mini a Firewire port on the very top to allow it to be plugged in, which would also power the drive and keep it stable. That would also facilitate stacking multiple minis on top of each other.

cool,

stackable?.. So when will we see a set-top box module with a remote control and a new media based os for recording video, downloading iTMS songs and viewing pictures etc??? Man that's gotta happen sooner or later...

Very cool and I was thinking along the same lines (except under the box, like symphonix). I could see a whole range of Mac mini "stackable" peripherals.

Just like that firewire/usb hub, the UFO, that XtremeMac used to make.

Kap

Oh... the size of the mini means that Apple could release a console that would kick the crap out of the Xbox! ::ha::

Hmm... I'd rather stack some Mac minis and Xgrid them. ;) (Supercomputer in a home, anyone?)

hey fryke...

just looking at your signature...

how are you managing to get a Mac mini with "1.25/512/160" specs? what's the "160" stand for? ;-)

A few years back i had a completely working pile of parts called a 6100 with no case and a huge cavern of a gap under my dash of my 91 accord that i wanted to try to fit it in, but i could not find a place to put a monitor that i liked.

From the Apple kbase docs on Mac Mini:

"How to position your Mac mini

You can place your Mac mini on its side and use it if you like. Just be sure not to rest the computer on its front or back side or you'll block access to the slot-loading optical drive in front or port connectors in back.

Always place your Mac mini on a hard, flat surface to provide maximum airflow to the computer's vents around the rubber base. Don't put anything on top of your Mac mini or stack Mac minis on top of each other either. If your Mac mini is configured with AirPort or Bluetooth, you could hamper the signal strength since the antennas are located in the top of the computer."

So could you use racks to stack 'em?

applewhore: I intend to give my Mac mini a bigger harddrive the minute I first open the box. However, I still have to read more about how that could be done. Guess some Japanese site will first crack the mini open? ;) ... Well... The other option (using a FW drive) doesn't seem so sexy, you know, since it takes the 'mini' out of the Mac mini.

Back