Mac mini the first to go Intel?

nixgeek said:
If the 90s Mac OS licensing didn't eat enough into Apple's hardware sales, this would definitely do it.

To the demise of Power Computing and the like, this is why the clone program was pulled. The OS was selling well, but the hardware sales were being outcompeted by the clone competition. Apple makes the largest part of its profit from hardware, therefore, allowing it to run on any beige box PC will ruin any profitability Apple hopes to make. Also, this will eventually turn Apple into a software company (ala Microsoft), by refocusing Apple to the software end as the hardware end lags. We would lose the tight hardware/software integration (i.e. new iMac/frontrow) that is the trademark of Apple. If Apple were to be as far removed from the hardware end today then when the idea for FrontRow went around Infinite Loop, it may have been as buggy and problematic as MS's Media Center (see the demo Gates did with O'Brian).

nixgeek said:
View my post on another thread about why the PPC processors seem like they are no match for the Intel chips regarding OS X. Mind you, this is just my take on the whole thing, but I'm sure someone would be willing to correct me on what I posted....and I welcome it. :D

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1253520&postcount=10

You might also want to view the rest of my posts on that thread for more information that I provided.
That's an interesting theory, nixgeek.

I can confirm (from a little birdy ;)) that x86 OS X IS fast. Boot times are very fast also, as fast or faster then current top of the line Macs.

The dual core PowerBooks next year will be smokin'!

As to nixgeek's theory the original NeXTs ran on Motorola processors, the i386 port came much later. Also all the interesting stuff is going on at the Objective-C level for what we are discussing here and that is already so far removed from the hardware that the architecture really won't matter.

Methinks it ain't so.

We speak a lot about technologies, but Mac sales are marketing business.

The multimedia PC is an opportunity, the Mac mini with FrontRow and remote control is ready for that market. The market has been open by iPod. What else ?

In January we'll see a Mac mini, a lower cost screen (with some iPod style), maybe this Mac mini and screen will be black. Maybe the Mac mini will include an iPod dock.

According to some rumour back then, the Mac mini originally _had_ an iPod dock or was at least prepared to get one... However: That's just a connector. Could as well use the USB cable. ;)

You know, now that I think of it, the Mac mini is well due for a facelift, too.

According to some rumour back then, the Mac mini originally _had_ an iPod dock or was at least prepared to get one...

Yes, I've heard much the same thing. Apple definitely toyed with the idea of an integrated iPod dock, but decided against it late in development. The first revision Mac minis have a riser card running to the back of the drives that features a connector on the top of the riser that corresponds to a Firewire port (that is, it *is* a firewire port, but without the correct plug). This connector does't actually hook up to anything (though a few hardware hacks I know used it to hook up hard drives, as it runs faster than the EIDE bus used on the first Mac minis).

I doubt we'll see an iPod dock on the Mac mini, though, since I think the design team will be targeting the home-theatre PVR crowd with the next design. Front Row is pretty much a certainty, though.

georgelien said:
I think so.

What's your take?

This is a very very good question. Which mac would be the first to go to Intel. Considering the fact that the Intel based Macs won't support Classic, it's defiinately not going to be a desgin-oriented Machine, so the G5 towers are out. Same goes for the eMacs and iBooks which are staples of eduction--they'll need Classic for a while. That would leave the Powerbooks, Minis, and iMacs.

I believe that Apple will definately want to put it's best foot forward, so I'm going to go with the Powerbooks, blazing fast Intel mobile processor, maybe dual core, even new design. Speed bumped G4 models will still be available. The mini isn't Apple's best Mac, so I don't see it being the lead in the transition. Whichever goes to Intel first, it's goingt to have to get rave reviews.

Dean Shavit

author of Mac HelpMate: http://www.machelpmate.com

why classic? i only use classic for playing some old games i've completed years ago. it's only for nostalgia. and i'm in design. everything in design is now fully carbonised/cocoa.

Lt Major Burns said:
why classic? i only use classic for playing some old games i've completed years ago. it's only for nostalgia. and i'm in design. everything in design is now fully carbonised/cocoa.

Everything may be carbonized in your company, but in many others Classic is still extremely mission-critical, a few examples:

1) Illustrator 8 is still very important to packaging designers who must exchange designs with those in other countries (China, Mexico, others)
2) There's still some accounting/CRM apps that requires Classic based on 4D and foxpro and even Omnis that haven't been updated or have OS X versions weaker than the Classic versions
3) Many schools have large repositories of educational software that requires Classic, and they either can't replace those programs (because OS X versions don't exist or aren't as good) or can't afford the cost of replacing them.
4) As with Illustrator 8, there's many companies still using QuarkXPress 4.1 workflows, especially foreign language publications

I'm sure there's other examples I haven't thought of.

Dean Shavit

author of Mac HelpMate http://www.macworkshops.com/machelpmate

but if the situation hasn't changed in the 4 years since the arrival of OSX, then why will it determine the order of arrival of Intel Macs? it won't change in the next year.

It's what needs the updating first really, next round of updates will replace the processors.

The Powermac, Powerbook, and iMac were Just Updated in October so i doubt that we will get those.

Needs updating : iBook, Mac Mini

the Mac Mini is the "average" computer user's computer, not a power user. I can see the Mac Mini w/ Front Row + Remote leading the way of the Intel Based Macs. Average users dont care about emulation or anything like that, so it is possible that the next gen of Mini's will sport the Yonah or Conroe chip

I just loaded Front Row on my iMac G4... fantastic.

The Intel Mac mini will be a great multimedia solution.

Huh? The eMac has been available to the general public for some years now.

When the eMac was first introduced, it was only available to educational institutions. A short while later, due to popularity and demand, Apple started selling it to the general public.

RGrphc2 said:
:confused: You call this:
That the pure and hard macintoshisimes undertake as of now tearing their shirt, to roll themselves in the nettles, to knock the head against tower IBM of the Downtown area.
A translation?!? ;)

I'm better off just staring at the French until it starts making sense.

Back