mac mouse

glamrockchick

Registered
this is really hard to explain but i'll try: basically, mouse at times can be really jerky, can't let go of windows they don't seem to stay still,
hoping someone can understand it

thanks

Which mouse do you have?
Apple mouse (standard white Apple USB mouse)
Magic Mouse
Magic Trackpad
built-in (multi-touch) trackpad
third-party wireless mouse
third-party USB mouse
something else?

Ah, OK - an older trackpad... (that would be a trackpad - not a mouse :D )
Probably your trackpad settings.
Does it make a difference if you turn OFF all the settings for clicking? That does mean that you can't tap on the pad to select, but the trackpad button will still work the same.
I always turn that off, because my fingers too easily make accidental clicks.
Do you have the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" off, or on?

If your trackpad doesn't behave, even after trying the different settings, you should try a different user account (make a new user just for this purpose) to see if the trackpad is a software issue, and the problem exists on any user account...

Another possibility is to take your main battery out, and check for any swelling in your battery. The reason I ask about that, is that a swelling battery (not unusual on MacBooks) can put pressure on the trackpad from underneath, making it intermittent, and often making the trackpad button hard to click.
That's just something for you to look at - it might not be an issue, but ...

not sure where the settings are, never had a problem before till few weeks though.. wotake it to apple shop.. it highlights things to, very annoying

Trackpad settings are in your System Preferences (under Trackpad, eh?)

There's several things you can try before you take to an Apple shop, such as taking the battery out. I think it sounds more like a swelling battery, which can be the cause of your issues. You'll want to replace the battery, in that case, but you won't need to have much more done, because the issues will likely be fixed simply by replacing the battery (if that's it)

What do you have selected under Clicking/Drag/Drag Lock? Should be Unselected for your testing.
Two Finger Scroll / For Secondary Clicks ?
(both of those are very handy, if you haven't tried them.

A coin in the slot will unlock the battery compartment, and you can take your main battery out in 2 seconds - Turn the battery over on a flat surface, and you will immediately see if the battery is swelling. You can also run your MacBook for a few minutes on the power adapter only (no battery), which will tell you easily if the battery is causing your issue.
You can do this! It will save some time in the event that you do have an issue that needs service, and you will have helped the tech decide to look elsewhere for the cause.

the clicking tab wasn't even ticked, will leave battery when go there.. i usually used to leave the mac in the power adapter but now when its charged sometimes, take it out and use some of the battery..

happened again, text seems to delete and things getting highlighted when press mouse or trackpad over it , and I'm not highlighting it, hope other people have had this and can help!

Yes, a Mac repair tech can look at a few things.
You can eliminate the battery as a likely cause for the trackpad issue by taking out the battery, and looking at it. If the battery is swelling (which is all you need to see), it will be visible by placing the battery upside down on a flat surface - easy...!

Yes - it's a common failure.
This is not difficult to do, all you are doing is taking out the battery, look at at, and put it back in. You would _leave it out_ if you see that it is swelling.
Which part of the instructions do you need help?
Turn your MacBook upside down.
Unlock the battery with a coin in the slot - the battery will pop up slightly.
remove the battery, and look at it. place it on a flat surface to check if the battery is not flat.
If it looks OK, put it back in, and turn the coin lock to hold the battery in place.
That's all - and you can do it, too... (see - it's not messy at all! :D )

id just rather leave it to people in mac to do if i take it, the experts but thanks anyway.. nothing else i can try settings wise or anything? the problem comes and goes though, isn't all the time which is one good thing

id just rather leave it to people in mac to do if i take it, the experts but thanks anyway.. nothing else i can try settings wise or anything? the problem comes and goes though, isn't all the time which is one good thing

This might sound weird, but try putting in your mac restore discs( Grey discs with the name macbook and restore disc 1 etc.) and see if the mouse does anything weird when you screw around with it. Also, try repairing your mac OS X install using disk first aid in the restore discs or any Mac OS or Mac OS X disc( People say Macs never crash, but you may have a screwy mouse driver, but don't worry, I have had it too). Also, I don't want to sound mean, but you can pull out the battery without anything happening! My grandma who is 64 can pull out her laptop battery! look up how to eject macbook battery on youtube! It's not hard at all and there's no chance of damaging the laptop!

Hope this helps!

the thing is i downloaded the mac software from the net so don't have a proper official disc.. the problem only seemed to happen when i upgraded to lion

the thing is i downloaded the mac software from the net so don't have a proper official disc.. the problem only seemed to happen when i upgraded to lion

you can try time machine(sort of like System Restore for windows but all GUI-Fied and Mac-y) to set the time back to before you installed lion to see if that fixes the problem. Did you download Lion legally or illegally(just a question. Not meant to be offensive)?

I've heard of time machine, that in applications? not too sure when i installed it, will look and see if i can find the date, so if i did that would it go back to the old mac os?

Back