Mac not connecting for over 3-4 min

enzo16

Registered
Have a mac that's a 2.4 GHz running os 10.6.8, my problem is when I start up my computer it takes a very long time for it to connect to the internet. It shows it's connected but it never is and always says DNS could not connect. Any thoughts.

How is your Mac connected to the internet? Dial-up? DSL? Cable? Wi-fi? What kind of router do you have? Or is it directly connected to a modem of some sort?

Please describe your network setup in greater detail.

Sorry forgot to add that, would probably help. Unfortunately we are on DSL, apartment complex signed a contract with a lousy company but thats another story, we are using wifi, the router is a Belkin.

... apartment complex signed a contract with a lousy company but thats another story, ...
And why is this not another story? Let me see:
  1. Communal wireless connection.
  2. Probably consumer grade router.
  3. DSL.
  4. Lousy provider.
From where I sit, any single one of these conditions might result in poor service. You have four of them that you admit to. How many do you believe that you would need before you saw a degradation of service quality?

It's not a free wireless. I am the only on my router. Supposedly they are going out of business at the end of the year and we can hopefully get a real ISP.

I have taken the computer over to my parents house who have Time Warner and it was still taking some time to connect to the internet.

Back