Mac on its last leg.....ARGH!!

it will take a few minutes to install this cause it is an old powerbook G3 lombard (slow as heck) but i'm not installing any extra components such as applications and extra fonts, so it won't take as long.

haha it is slow. It's mainly the lack of RAM and a slow HD. thankfully I don't regularly use this machine. Anyways, I just got done installing it. And it is starting up. I will send you the pictures I take.

sweet deal, my email is swappedsr @ yahoo.com, no spaces since i don't want the spam bots getting my email addy :) so your saying it is there on that 10.32 installer setup?

well i'll be darned. It isn't there. But no worries. There is another way to do it we just need to think how. You might want to consider upgrading to tiger though. A lot more features including that one.

Ok here's what your gonna do. Start up the computer that you want to be backed up. Go to system preferences. Go to startup disk. And select to start up in target disk mode.

Then get a firewire cable and plug it into the firewire port on the back of the computer, and connect the other end to the firewire port on another functional computer. The computer will restart and will be able to be used as an external hard drive.

Then plug your external hard drive into the other firewire port on the functional computer (not the one you are backing up). And start up the computer. You should have two external hard drive icons showing up on your desktop now.

You will want to reformat the external hard drive as mac os extended using disk utility. Then, double click on the hard drive icon of the computer that you are backing up, select everything that shows up (System Folder, Applications, Library etc. etc.) and drag all of it to the external hard drive icon.

It will take a while to backup all of this stuff, but it should work. I'm staying up late because i'm a student who has homework that I've put off, so you can ask me any questions that you need.

My aim screen name is Wolfpacker92 if you have one and it will be easier to talk that way.

yeah i got aim, im off to bed soon though, i can get you tomorrow maybe, but yeah i have everything backed up, i just thought there would be that easy way using the assistant to get the apps over, but it doesn't look like it is possible with that 10.32 disk, if only i had the 10.34 disk, arg!! I even tried taking the setup assistant off a different g5 machine and put it on the g4, but it didn't work unfortunately. So i think im just left with reinstalling everything, which is fine, im already prepared for that task on monday. It will be a long day lol, i expect it to take me all day too. Thanks for the posts and i will make sure to clone this guy once i get everything going on it lol

Back