Mac on its last leg.....ARGH!!

rboklewski

Registered
Well here goes....

I have a quicksilver mac here at work, that i tried cloning using ccc carbon copy cloner, which didn't do the job, the software is great, but im afraid it is because of my hard drive. Now, the job finished successfully and i selected make bootable before the installation, but it will not boot for some reason. The hard drive itself is making those e-e-e, e-e-e, e-e-e noises as the destop loads, then it will go away and everything seems fine. Sometimes searching in the finder or what not will also cause the drive to cause that also. I am going to pick up a new drive this weekened in the event that I have to reload everything. My questions.

1)Is there an easy way to get the applications at least over to the new drive if i do a fresh install of osx and os9 on the new drive. He has so many apps, including suitcase, which i hate having to deal with. FONTS BAHHHHH!

2)Could I get this cloned hard drive working somehow?

3)If i go to install a fresh copy of os9 and osx does that new hard drive have to be in his machine? Or can put it in my machine(not a quicksilver, its a powerpc G4) and load the os's? Or would there be a confilict with his machine if I start loading the os's from mine.

What do you guys suggest?

Appreciate it, Bob

Well I would thing the hard drive is dying dead. So if it was me I would buy and external firewire external drive shell that uses the same hard drive connector the internal hard drive uses. I then would use that external, install Classic and OS X, copy everything you want to it and make sure you can boot with it. Then replace that hard drive with the one that is dying. Good Luck.

Okay, now if I do that, could I take the applications from the dying drive and drage them to the applications folder of the good drive? If so what about suitcase, how would that work since suitcase uses fonts in a folder that is in the root of the hard drive.

Also, couldn't i just pull out the dying drive and put in the new drive and load everything instead of using the external enclosure with the new drive. Then once i have everything loaded i can hook up the old drive as a slave and get off what I need?

anyone?

Also could i put the new hard in a hard drive enclosure and sling it off my mac g4 and load os9 first then osx and then once i get everything setup hook it up as the master drive on the g4 quicksilver? I just am not sure if i could setup the drive from another machine then hook it up to a totally different machine? I guess you technically wouldn't be if you are using the new drive as a external drive?

gees sorry nobody answered you for so long. If you buy an external Hard Drive, first of all make sure that it is a firewire drive. I would recommend you getting a Lacie drive that is big enough for you to hold all of your files plus some extra room to back up more stuff in the future. After you buy it, all you gotta do is pop in the OSX DVD, Make sure your external Hard Drive is plugged in, boot to the OSX install DVD, and select to install OSX on the external Hard drive. After it is all done installing, restart the computer and boot to the external Hard drive. The OSX setup assistant will ask you if you want to copy all of your files from another mac to the new hard drive. All you do is select yes, and check all of the boxes of possible file types to copy that it gives you. This will take some time depending on how much stuff you have to copy.

After it is all done copying, you will have an exact replica of your original hard drive including your password and all of your network settings, and yes, of course, all of your fonts and applications. Now when you get your new hard drive, all you have to do is repeat the process, but, instead of copying all of the files from the computer to the external hard drive, you will select to copy all of your files from the external hard drive to your computer.

Now take a deep breath and walla, it's as if the old hard drive never went bad.

I have os9 also that has to be installed, would it be the same steps but just install os9 first? I hope it works, because i tried cloning and it wouldn't clone, but hopefully the way you are saying won't touch any of the files that are causing the clone to fail. Thanks, Bob.

The Setup Assistant will migrate the OS 9 system folder and applications (both OS9 and 10), and user accounts, and settings... from the old drive.

Just make sure you install the OS 9 drivers (formatting option when you installed the new drive. Did you format the new drive first?)

I think it is a default option in 10.3.x, but might want to make sure...

Do these things on the Quicksilver machine since there may be hardware requirements not addressed if installed on the G4 desktop.

I will format the drive once i try this and i won't forget to add the os9 drivers. So i do have to install os9 first on the external drive, then osx, then the osx setup will migrate both os9 and osx once i boot to the external drive, correct?

Well i installed mac osx on an external firewire drive, I installed os9 first, then osx, booted to the external drive in osx and it didn't prompt me anywhere to migrate anything from another system. By the way im running 10.32. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but i definantly didn't get prompted to migrate anything.

Update: I might be wrong, but is the setup assistant even built into the 10.32 installer cd? I think from what I read it started in the installer cd 10.34.....Ughhh....If that is the case, what do i do now?

I also tried putting a 10.35 g5 installer cd in, but it didn't work, it keeps popping the cd out once i try to boot from it, because i have a g4 probably. Am I screwed on this easy way to migrate?

it won't prompt you to migrate your data. But there is an option at about the second setup step where it is setting up your user name and stuff and it has an option to transfer your information from another mac. It is down towards the bottom of the screen I think.

I need to downgrade from tiger to panther on one of my old computers anyways...so give me a few minutes and I will do the setup assistant for myself and see exactly where it is. I'll take a few pics with my digital camera and give you the link.

Back