Mac "option" key bug

mattdesl

Registered
Hey folks,

Recently my Mac has started to think that my "alt" or "option" key is pressed down, when it's clearly not. This problem happens spontaneously about 2-3 times a day now. Sometimes it occurs when typing, sometimes it occurs when I leave my computer idle for a couple hours.

This is obviously an issue since I can then only type in symbols: å∫ç∂´ƒ©

- The only fix I've found is to log out and then log back in, or to reboot.
- Pushing ALT or OPTION does nothing to resolve the issue.
- Sticky keys and accessibility are disabled
- The virtual keyboard viewer shows that OPTION is pushed down. In the virtual keyboard, clicking the OPTION button does nothing.
- I have tried to "restore" hotkeys in the System Preferences to no avail.
- The problem persists even after turning off and disabling my bluetooth keyboard, which leads me to believe it's not a keyboard-related issue.
- The issue persists even after force-quitting all applications.

Hopefully somebody has some ideas to help resolve the issue.

I'm running iMac 10.6.6 with the standard Mac wireless keyboard.

Model ID: iMac10,1
Intel Core 2 Duo

EDIT: Also, I've read that a similar issue occurs within Photoshop for certain Mac users. My problem occurs without Photoshop running; and it is system-wide rather than application specific.

Make sure it's not a keyboard (hardware) issue by using a different keyboard for a few hours, or even a day or two. It's another reason to keep a USB wired keyboard around, just for such needs. It doesn't even need to be a "Mac-compatible" keyboard. If you _do_ try a windows keyboard, that the alt and windows-symbol keys are, by default, reversed to Mac's normal positions on the keyboard.

Back