Mac OS 10.2.3!

Yeah, I think most of the members here are wrongly leading by new OS or new Macintosh. Steve said all new "Mac" in 2003 will only boot into OS X but not OS X will remove the ability of booting up from OS 9. Prehaps any new version of OS X will disable the feature to choose start up from OS 9 while pre-2003 Mac still can start up/choose to boot up with OS 9 by external devices (CD/FW/USB HD) or start up boot menu.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
they'll never get rid of classic IMO.... i think that's one of the best things about OSX - the compatibility between the old and the new.
Of course they will...

At some point in the future Apple will release hardware the is not compatible with OS 9 (either OS 9 boot or Classic)... They will stop updating OS 9 to work with new hardware and stopy making it possible to use (on the new hardware).

I don't think this will be a software issue, but instead hardware... My guess is this will happen when the come out with 64 bit CPU's. Why would the bother trying to redo OS 9 to work with that?

This is the same reason OS X is not supported on older CPU's...

Heh, it wasn't the processor that made Apple say 'no' to pre-G3s, it was the system bus archs.

Compared to even the Beige G3, the system bus is underpowered in my 8600/300, and the mobo isn't designed well enough to let me OC it to even 54Mhz from 50Mhz. It just gets too unstable.

OS X isn't CPU-hungry per se, but it is definitely bus hungry, and when the bus clogs, the CPU lags and you notice it.

I have a G4/400 in here, and it still can't hold a candle to a Yikes! G4/400 running the same software on the same video card.

Yes money was involved, but to move certain things forward, they had to realize requirements on system resources OTHER than the CPU would dramatically increase.

That's true, too... But then you'd have been able to decide for yourself that you needed a new machine...

However, making only new software run on new hardware helps mostly Microsoft, Adobe and Macromedia. At least more than it helps Apple. It might even _hurt_ Apple as long as Quark doesn't deliver XPress 6, which is still some months away according to the latest statements of Quark officials in MacUser UK and on their website.

Almost all new Macs cannot boot the previous versions of OS 9 (8, 7, 6,...). After a new Mac comes out you generally need to wait for a new version of the OS to come out which knows about the peculiarities of the new machine.

The last version of OS 9 came out sometime last year. It cannot be used to boot the new iMacs. These come with their own version of OS 9.

To make the new computers not boot OS 9 Apple doesn't have to do anything special. They just have to not update OS 9 for the new computer.

There is no indication Apple will do anything at all to prevent existing computers from booting existing versions of OS 9. That idea is just silly.

Back