Mac Os 10.4 Upgrade to 10.4.2

alexthecat

Registered
Installed "tiger," worked perfectly;
but tried to upgrade to 10.4.2 message was " cannot install on this volume". I have an older mac g4 "yosemite" 400 MHz,ram 740. I tried a download cd and direct download. Is it in the speed of the older machine, or ? , and do i really need this upgrade? Thank you.

It sounds as though you are not using Software Update. Is this true? If it is true, how did you install Tiger in the first place? How are trying to install the update?

alexthecat said:
Installed "tiger," worked perfectly;
but tried to upgrade to 10.4.2 message was " cannot install on this volume". I have an older mac g4 "yosemite" 400 MHz,ram 740. I tried a download cd and direct download. Is it in the speed of the older machine, or ? , and do i really need this upgrade? Thank you.

You downloaded an install that is meant for going from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. However, don't fear because you can still get to 10.4.2 in one full download. You need the OS X 10.4.2 Combo Update to move from 10.4 to 10.4.2. After applying the Combo update, run Software Update but be warned, you should download only one update at a time from software update, especially the updates that require a restart. Also after every install restart, mosey over to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and "Repair Permission" on you startup drive. I know this sounds like a lot to do but "Repairing Permissions" will help keep your Mac to run clean, fast and neat.

Back