Mac OS 10.5 in eMac?

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Greetings,
I have the old eMac that serves me just great, my requirements being minor. However, I notice that most new software won't work with a Mac without the new Intel processor. Can I update to OS 10.5 on my eMac? Thanks, Sparrowhawk

Tell us what processor speed you have in that eMac.... and how much RAM memory you have installed.
The oldest eMacs have only 700 MHz processor - not officially supported by 10.5 (not that you would want to to that, anyway). A last-issued eMac may have a 1.42 GHz G4, which is great with 10.5, and can be upgraded to 2GB of RAM memory.

Thanks. My eMac has a 1.25 G4 Power PC processor, and 768 MB DDR SDRAM. (I had some memory added when I purchased the eMac.)

The minimum for Leopard is 512MB, and - for Leopard - more memory is better. You can upgrade up to 2 x 1GB PC-2700 DDR SDRAM. PC-3200 DDR SDRAM may be easier to find, and will work fine, too.
Just a reminder - Upgrading to 10.5, or adding more RAM, will not give you the capability to run apps that need an Intel processor.

If I understand you correctly, then my eMac as it is does have the capability to install Leopard? It appears to have enough memory. However, without adding more memory (I am loathe to drag a fifty-pound machine into the closest Apple store), would Leopard slow the eMac down greatly?

Actually, it's sixty pounds, but I get your point.
It's really a simple project to upgrade memory, and you could do it yourself - as long as you aren't unlucky enough to have Apple's clear swivel stand installed. That blocks access to the bottom panel.
Yes, Leopard will install (assuming that your eMac can read DVDs)

I still work on eMacs every day. I work for a school system that has several hundred eMacs in use. I can provide you with the information that you need to upgrade your memory.
I use an eMac at home that I have upgraded with a dual-layer DVD burner, which I purchased new for less than $20, a new 250GB hd, and the full 2GB RAM. The eMac runs great. It is _not_ an intel Mac, and will never be as fast as a new system. But, it suits my needs at home, and runs a variety of software very nicely....

Back