Mac os snow leopard run slow on macbook?

macattack600

Registered
I had a question about os snow leopard. I'm running a macbook 2.0 tiger but thinking about snow leopard instead of leopard. Is snow leopard geared more for macbook pros also i'm temp. running with 1gb memory would I notice a difference in the way it operates versus just 10.5 leopard?

In my experience Snow Leopard is as good or better on the same hardware as Leopard.

That said, you should definitely consider a memory upgrade. Whatever OS you choose, you will notice the difference. I have 2GB of RAM and am considering an upgrade to 8GB (it's less than US$100 now). crucial.com and macsales.com are good places to buy RAM.

Absolutely upgrade your RAM memory, regardless of the upgrade that you do.
1 GB is minimum for Snow Leopard, and you should upgrade to whatever is the maximum.
AFAIK, no MacBook that can run Tiger can be upgraded to that 8GB, or even 4 GB. 2, or 3GB would be the maximum for any MacBook that came with Tiger...

thanks i know max rum is always good. I read somewhere that snow leopard was really built for macbook pros that's why I asked

thanks i know max rum is always good. I read somewhere that snow leopard was really built for macbook pros that's why I asked

Max rum is always great ;D

My MacBook runs great with Snow Leopard, it's all great because it uses less space due to Apple remoin universal binaries. I also look forward to upgrading to Lion when it comes out this summer. Of course I have 3 gb of ram, but when I had 2 gb it still ran great. Im sure it'll work great for you, and you could alwas wait for Lion to come out, but you might want to wait and see what everyone says about it running on a MacBook.

About three months ago when I started using snow leopard , it was amazing with its speed. But the brightness couldn't last too long.

It started slowing down. The reason I found behind this was fragmented drive.
As there was no inbuilt defragmenting tool in Mac so, I went for a third party tool for defragmentation.

Now, once again, My Mac has the same pace.

Fragmentation has little effect on system performance, with only a couple of exceptions, such as drive too full, or hard drive used for tasks that use the hard drive to a major degree, such as audio recording.
An OS X system that has plenty of free space, the user allows the system to run the periodic maintenance tools (which since 10.4(?) runs without need for the user to remember to run them), and assuming the disk directory is in good shape and the drive itself is mechanically sound - the system does a pretty good job of keeping fragmentation under control. The OS X system does this automatically, without need for a manual tool.

I've hear that it's best to have equal parts of ram in macbooks my max for this early macbook is 3 i think it will read like 3.33 so i'm told. My question is how much will the ram effect my macbook running 1gb and 2gb on the other side,I've also heard that putting 2x2gb can make a macbook blackscreen? maybe i've read that wrong.

I have upgraded a couple of those MacBooks with 2 x 2GB
The MacBook reports that 4GB in System Profiler, but shows 3GB (usable memory) in About This Mac.
You get the (slight) performance advantage of paired RAM chips.
You get more advantage just by upgrading the memory to maximum, than that small amount by using an equal pair - and 1 x 2 GB plus 1 x 1 GB is cheaper, too!
There is no harm in using 2 x 2 GB - but the speed advantage from a matched pair isn't enough to make that worthwhile, IMHO. And, your MacBook will run fine with an 'unequal' pair.

Just to give my two cents. My MacBook acted much different with 4 gb, it simply didn't even turn on at all. All it did was give me that nice solid white light in the front. Maybe you'll get different results with different ram or MacBook, but that's how mine acted with 4 gb.

Brand is not too relevant, is it?
Be sure that your new RAM is the correct type supported by your MacBook.
200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM will get you what you need.
My opinion - go with a company that provides support for your purchase, and will gladly replace a failed chip. Those companies will warranty the RAM for as long as you own that memory. Good information here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM#Where_to_Buy

Back