Mac Os X 10.0 And Dmg Files!

mbay

Registered
Hello everyone!

I'm really new to OS X, so be easy on me! :)

I realized that a lot of compressed files for MAC OS X are in DMG. even the updates on some sites. I only have MAC OS 10.0, and I am attempting to open a DMG file, but it gives me mounting errors. I'm not too sure how to use the terminal, or what the language would be to convert a dmg file to iso format so i could perhaps mount the files via toast.

does anyone know of a solution to convert these dmg files to iso using 10.0. I've heard that DropDMG software encrypts files to this format, but does it have the ability to extract the files as well, and is it available for OS 10.0.

thank you all for any support.

What you are encountering was a common occurrence in 10.0 and 10.1 for that matter. There is no fix and no conversion other than having a friend with a later version of OS X open the images and burn them to a CD for you. :eek:

OS X 10.0, according to no less of an authority than Steve Jobs, as for early adopters only and was never intended as a production version. Most of today's applications will not even run in 10.0. Until you can upgrade to at least 10.2 or better yet 10.3 you would probably be better off to abandon the use of OS X. Until then you can continue to use your old applications under OS 9.

I second that -- 10.0 sucks. When it was first released, it was an awesome look into the future, but even after multiple updates, it was never good enough to be used to actually do anything. Too slow and buggy. As perfessor said, it's kind of a "toy" OS, meant to make you go "ooh" and "aah" and play with the new features of a UNIX-based OS with a great GUI on top.

OS 9 is much better than both 10.0 and 10.1 in my opinion. 10.2 was the first usable, full-time Mac OS X version.

Hello again!!!

thank you both for your answers and support. Well, it looks like i'll just have to purchase a new os, maybe wait a while for 10.4.

Question: Is it true that dmg files are able to burnt onto a cd via a pc's program "nero" burning software.

I even read a few articles stating that "disk copy" can convert the "dmg" files and save them as "VCD/CR-R", so that it be renames to cdr format, then change the file's extension name to .iso and then burn it with "nero".

Have you heard of such a method?

thank you again in advance.

mbay

Yes, this sounds correct.

Disk Copy, on OS X 10.2 or 10.3 (and maybe 10.1), can mount the DMG file, which can then be recompressed into any number of formats, including .cdr and .iso.

I still have three shrinkwrapped copies of the 10.1 upgrade somewhere around here... if you aren't located outside the US, I can try to locate them and possibly send you a copy -- after all, I got them for free from various Apple stores and CompUSAs around Texas... if they'd help I'd be glad to send one to ya.

mbay said:
Question: Is it true that dmg files are able to burnt onto a cd via a pc's program "nero" burning software.

I even read a few articles stating that "disk copy" can convert the "dmg" files and save them as "VCD/CR-R", so that it be renames to cdr format, then change the file's extension name to .iso and then burn it with "nero".
In 10.1 and 10.2 it is Disk Copy that can open a .dmg file and burn it to a CD. In 10.3 it is Disk Utility that does the job. A .dmg is a Device or Disk image file and can be mounted on the desktop just like another drive so assuming it is the proper size and format it can be burned to a CD-R or even DVD-R according to the type of optical drive you have.

I am not familiar with Nero and I have no idea what it can or cannot do.

The only way Disk Copy or Disk Utility can produce a VCD is if the original device the image was created from was a VCD. However there are shareware and freeware utilities that run in OS X 10.2 and 10.3 that can create a VCD.

Back