"Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
Okay my dad thought he could reformat his MacBook Pro no sweat. It's the 15-inch 2007 model and it came with OS 10.5 (I think these are the correct details).

Anyway, he's inserted the disk to boot from to re-install the software but it's come up with the message:

"Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

Yes they are the original discs that came with the computer.

Okay, so here's where he's kinda messed up (I think). He's gone into Disk Utility (he's currently booted up from the Install Disk 1) and selected the hard drive on the left.

He allegedly repaired the disk under the First Aid menu, then under the Erase menu, clicked "Erase..."

Now when I open "Startup Disk" it only recognises the "Install Disk 1" and the "Network Startup" volumes (there is normally a Macintosh HD volume or something).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to resolve this dilemma?

Thanks in advance!!

If the hard drive was erased, then there's no startup system now, and it will not show up as a choice in Startup Disk - it can't start your Mac when it has no installed system.

You need to boot to your OS X installer DVD, and reinstall your OS X system software.
The message "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" means that you have a grey DVD (correct so far?), and that disk is part of a 2-disk set that shipped with a Mac originally, but it's for a different Mac (could be a different MacBook Pro, but not yours)
It's not the correct Restore DVD.
How do you resolve this dilemma? Apple will sell you a replacement set if you ask them. I think an Apple store can handle the situation OK.
Or, look around, maybe you have the correct set stored somewhere.
Another option is to purchase Snow Leopard, and install that instead of Leopard.

If you can't locate the correct discs that were shipped with that Mac, in your case getting a retail set of Snow Leopard will cost less, it will be newer, and it also be better value considering eventual resell value too.

Back