Mac OS X help...

MaC hAcKeR

Not nut cracker!!!
Im new to OS X... used tp be a mac os 9 dude... but whatever...
1. Why does the finder icon in the dock say "Finder not running"?
2. How do I get rid of some menubars (like airport, displays, sound, ect.
3. Not a question... but Im on OS X.2.6 on a 12" PowerBook G4
Thanks!

Hold the Command key and drag the icons off the Menu Bar.

Do you have any Themes or third party hacks installed?

What happens when you double click on the Finder icon in the Dock?

If the Finder is actually working, then ignore it.

You can use the same Cmd- trick to drag items out of your Dock, off the top of your System Preferences, and actually off the top of any toolbar.

So are you enjoying your stay? Is it better than OS 9 or worse, in your opinion?

Originally posted by arden
If the Finder is actually working, then ignore it.

You can use the same Cmd- trick to drag items out of your Dock, off the top of your System Preferences, and actually off the top of any toolbar.

So are you enjoying your stay? Is it better than OS 9 or worse, in your opinion?
I got it to work... not sure how...
and I miss OS 9... Mac OS X is still cool tho.

Originally posted by arden
Well, that's what Classic is for.
I would be into classic in a heartbeat... but this PowerBook can't boot into OS 9, only OS X :grr:

And that stupid finder is broken again... :grr:
*sigh* looks like imma have to learn myself some Linux.

Oh, and this damn airport printer isnt working. I know the stylus photo 820 from epson IS airport compatibe, says on apples website, it was working before, now this damn thing dont even see it.

M.H.:

"Classic" is OS 9 emulation in OS X. You don't have to reboot to use it. Any Mac, even those who won't boot OS 9, will run Classic.

Of course, you may have to install OS 9 so you can use emulation. Pop in your 9 disc and install it.

Finder: How exactly is it broken. Is it not running?

Doug

Emulation is an inaccurate term. Classic is an operating environment provided by OS X to run software that cannot run in OS X. This environment does not really emulate any hardware layers, (for example, emulating PC hardware to run a PC windows session) The Hardware is still there (it's a Mac after all) ! I prefer to classify Classic and OS 9 as separate entities (even if, on my system, they operate out of the same System Folder!) If you use the Classic environment, you're booted to OS X, and you can do most OS 9 stuff. The only way to run all OS 9 stuff is to bootup to OS 9 (which is NOT Classic)
My system right now reports that the Finder is Not Running, but I ignore it (The Finder is in fact running) It's not broken in some way that I can see except for that banner in the dock, the dock seems to not know (or even care) whether the Finder is running or not. You can rely on your eyes to tell you it's running if you have any open windows!

I had the 'Finder not running' thing once, I used the Force Quit dialog to Relaunch it. I don't know if this would help you, but worth a try! :)

Originally posted by dlloyd
I had the 'Finder not running' thing once, I used the Force Quit dialog to Relaunch it. I don't know if this would help you, but worth a try! :)
yay!
I hope Panther dosen't have this bug... It always happends when I start up... wierd...

Still miss OS 9:( but OS X is so....... bulletproof... it hasn't crashed on me yet. OS 9 made me want to get a PC...

Instead of force quitting the Finder, install Tinkertool and enable the Quit Finder option. Then simply quit the Finder and relaunch it.

As for Classic, OS 9 is the "Classic" OS and it runs under emulation in OS X. Just because it doesn't emulate hardware does not mean it is not emulation. The only ways to use an OS are to boot into it or to emulate it. Show me a third: I dare you.

I refer to Classic as an environment, because that's what Apple calls it. You may call it emulation if you like, but this is not strictly emulation, the Mac is using Mac software to control Mac hardware, and some software is running that requires OS 9, so OS X provides that capability through the Classic environment. OS X is not emulating OS 9, OS 9 is actually running, (and on a Mac, too, how Strange is that?) with some of the hardware layers controlled through OS X.

I only make this distinction to provide a point of reference for those who refer to OS 9 as Classic (yes, it's the classic operating system, but Classic mode is only an OS X function) and want to troubleshoot a problem strictly from an OS X viewpoint. The differences between Classic Mode and OS 9 are a boot away, and can be large!

Back