Mac OS X install CD detects new HDD as being 7.25x actual size

mac noob

Registered
Hello, Im trying to install a Western Digital WD1600BPVT 160 GB 5400 RPM 8MB 2.5 inch SATA drive into a mac book pro. However, Mac OS X install CD detects the new HDD as being 7.25x actual size, claiming it is 1.16 terrabytes in volume.

This is causing a bunch of headaches, because I cant get the install software to do ANYTHING with the disk.

- It will not show up as an available disk to install mac OS X on.
- Trying to partition gives the error: Partition failed, Partition failed with the error: input/output error.
- Trying to erase the disk gives the same error (read that worked for some people).

I have tried using MacDrive9 to create a partition and then install mac OS X on the mac book. The disk utility recognizes the partition as the appropriate size; however, again, it wont touch the drive. Trying to perform operations on the drive gives the error "Disk Utility Internal Error: Disk utility has lost its connection to the disk management tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch disk utility" and the only option is to shut down the disk utility.

The exception to this is verifying and repairing the partition with disk utility. The disk goes through the verification and repair process normally, with no errors reported.

Manipulating this drive in Windows with MacDrive9, or windows itself with the drive barren, yields no problems at all. The drive is fully functional, and recognized as the appropriate size.

Any help would be great, because I cant seem to figure out, or even find information on the net, about this problem.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Disk utility will only do the "verify" and "repair" functions. Both pass. It refuses to format the drive, partition it, or do anything else, and gives some generic error message like the one mentioned in the OP.

Using this drive on windows, it is fully functional; it will read, write, partition, etc, with no problems. Windows also recognizes the drives correct capacity.

__

I experimented with attaching the drive to the mac book via USB and running the install cd. When attached the to USB, oddly enough it detects the drives correct volume. While on the USB, I was able to get the installer to erase the partition I had put there with MacDrive9, and repartition it as it wanted.

However, it still refuses to install to this drive. Trying to get it to install via USB crashes the installer; and when replacing it into the notebook, even though the partition it just made is recognized, I get the same error:

"You cannot install mac OS on this volume. An error was encountered while running the the VolumeCheck tool for Mac OS X"

Could this be a conflict between the drive and this particular version of OSX? The drive is brand new, but the OS is 8 years old already I guess. Would upgrading solve this problem, perhaps?

This isnt my mac book, its actually a relatives that Im trying to fix. The original HDD semi-crashed and is not able to be booted from, however the information on the drive is still accessible.

Edit: errr, I just posted a message before this one and it says its "awaiting moderation"... no idea why, and no idea why this message is not "awaiting moderation".... I answered your post in that one.

Can a mod "approve" my last post please?

You said that you have worked with this hard drive from Windows.
Did you move the drive to a Windows PC or laptop, and test the drive from an external drive?
Then, you weren't actually using the MacBookPro SATA connections, and the hard drive was not internal to the MacBook Pro for that Windows testing?

Then, you can probably be good with saying that the hard drive is OK.
You would need to try a different ribbon cable in the MacBook Pro.
It's also possible that the drive controller chip is faulty.
That's on the logic board, and can only be repaired by replacing that logic board.
An Apple service shop can run some diagnostics to determine if the board is bad, and they should have a known good cable (and a known-good hard drive, too) to try out to verify that.
It seems possible with your symptoms that the original hard drive might be good - or the failure caused the logic board drive controller to fail, too.
And, the easiest is to try a different cable....

My relative did take to the macbook store first off, they also mentioned they thought it might be the harddrive, but also told her something to the effect of "sorry, your macbook is too old and we dont work on macbooks that old. How about buying a brand new one?" Maybe it was the "genius" bar she went to, Im not sure.

Heres what the HDD does: it boots up to the point the macbook screen turns blue, then it hangs. The HDD makes the same repetitive series of noises as well. It doesnt stop till you shut the computer down. I had that happen to me once with an IBM deskstar... or "deathstar" as I commonly heard it called due to its track record of random catastrophic failures.

Also with the old mac HDD, you can reinstall the entire OS without faults, but as soon as it says it needs to reboot to complete the installation, same thing happens. Loads up to the point of the light blue screen, then hangs.

Ok, Im trying to post some information, but my posts are being "moderated awaiting approval"... not sure whats going on with that.

edit: My relative did take to the macbook store first off, they also mentioned they thought it might be the harddrive, but also told her something to the effect of "sorry, your macbook is too old and we dont work on macbooks that old. How about buying a brand new one?" Maybe it was the "genius" bar she went to, Im not sure.

Heres what the HDD does: it boots up to the point the macbook screen turns blue, then it hangs. The HDD makes the same repetitive series of noises as well. It doesnt stop till you shut the computer down. I had that happen to me once with an IBM deskstar... or "deathstar" as I commonly heard it called due to its track record of random catastrophic failures.

Also with the old mac HDD, you can reinstall the entire OS without faults, but as soon as it says it needs to reboot to complete the installation, same thing happens. Loads up to the point of the light blue screen, then hangs.

Last edited:
Right, I removed the drive and tested it on my PC with a SATA to USB adapter.

And, the easiest is to try a different cable....

I guess nobody saw this as an easier way...

Plug the HDD into the SATA usb adapter to bypass the internal sata cable and controller. Then try to install OSX that way on the MBPro. Also, when booted to the installer, check in disk utility and make sure the drive is partitioned as GUID and not MBR.

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I did try that already. I mentioned it in the moderated post thats now been approved.

What happened was the macbook recognized the drive through the USB as the correct the volume, and partition, and I was able to format it with the installation software using the "erase" function (but NOT with the partition or format commands).

But it isnt able to install. Trying to get it to install via USB crashes the installer and tells you to reopen disk utility; and when replacing it into the notebook on the SATA, even though the partition it just made is recognized, I get the same error:

"You cannot install mac OS on this volume. An error was encountered while running the the VolumeCheck tool for Mac OS X" ... and now it sees the drive as 1.16TB again.

Again, in disk utility does it show the drives partition scheme as MBR, APM, or GUID? In the right panel in disk utility click on the drive itself, not the underlying volume. Doing this will show the partition scheme and will give you options to repartition.

Back